Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 month old draining the life out of me!

Unhappy 5 month old draining the life out of me!

I have been having energy issues since my son was born, and now it is getting to the point where I don't want to think about weaning, but it passes through my mind. Sometimes while I'm nursing I feel like I am going to just pass out I am so tired (I also have a 2 year old). Does anyone have any tips besides the obvious of getting more sleep or drinking more water? I feel like I have tried both of those, and only feel mildly better. Thanks!

Default Re: 5 month old draining the life out of me!

Are you eating well, and taking prenatals?

Are you taking any of the prenatal vitamins? There was a thread about it here a while back and it seems like many of the moms here are still taking them and it helps with energy. Other than that, sorry I dont have any other suggestions...

I am taking prenatal vitamins and I added the iron back in because I thought it might be low, and trying to eat well as much as possible. Does everyone experience this with trying to take care of a toddler and an infant? I guess I am looking for a magic fix.

I think you should check with your Dr. Could be a thyroid problem, for example. Could even be PPD. Could be a side effect of something you are on?

yeah have your iron checked!
    I always figure if somebody (my kids are older) wakes me up during the night I get a nap the next day.
    Sometimes I don't sleep but just rest but most days I take a nap..
    and i know it sounds silly but adding a little bit of exersice can realy help you get beter sleep

Hi, Just wanted to say I know how you feel. With my first two they were 2 years apart. I was so tired and drained that first year. Definally keep up the vitamins and also get some sun. I have read alot of good things about getting some sunlight etc. If you can get a brisk walk in with the kids that may help alot. Hang in there! It gets better. I was so drained with my first two and I wasnt even nursing. Even with formula its not any easier.

I am there. I also have a 2 year old and am soooo guilty lately of letting him watch tv. Especially in the evenings, when DH is not home from work yet, and I just can't seem to find any energy. I have found that M, the baby, will entertain himself lately. He loves to be in his crib with a few toys and just roll around and chew on them. I take the baby monitor with me to the kitchen or wherever I need to be. It gives me 15 minutes, at least!
    I have also found that getting myself organized helps. If I do a little every day, them I am not so overwhelmed. When EVERYTHING is a mess, I feel so much more tired. But when I know I only have to do *this much* then I am ok!

Oh yeah, and I am feeling soooooo much less guilty for leaving them with DH and getting a few hours to myself here and there. He needs to be able to handle them, and it makes him appreciate me soooo much more!!

The key is get help. Mine are 2 years apart. DH takes the 2 year old while I take care of baby once home from work. If DH is working late or out of town, I call in my parents to help me. If you have friends, relatives, a sitter even - call them for help - it will do wonders for you.

Amy

I went through the same thing a couple of months back. No energy, rapid weight loss (I went from a size 8 to a 4 in one month -- but I was originally a size 4 pre-pregnancy) and lots of bruising. I went for a physical and blood work and luckily everything came back normal. I just attribute it all to working full time, nursing (why I can't put on a pound and eat like a horse) and always rushing around!

You should definitely go to the doctor to check everything is okay. In the meantime, make sure you are eating enough and lots of small snacks too. I always keep almonds with me for a quick pick me up.
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09