Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Are we doing alright?

Default Are we doing alright?

So Mylee went today for her year checkup. She's 18 lbs. 11 oz. 27 1/2 inches long. The n.p. said she was fine, healthy and all that good stuff but then asked if I had started to give her cows milk yet and I told her no I didn't want to because I am still nursing her and I didn't want to pump her full of all those hormones and she proceeded to tell me that cows milk is recommended for children over a year because they need it to fatten them up. She also said that my milk isn't as nutritional as it was in the beginning. WTF, I went on to ask if their were any alternatives and she said organic cows milk maybe?? So here I am confused as he!! shopping for some freakin organic whole cows milk because she had me thinking this is what I needed to give my baby. I came home and called my dh and he told me NOT to give her any cows milk because of all the bad stuff he hears about it and that my milk is just fine plus all the eating she does all day long. AWE I him so much for pushing me to continue bf'ing Mylee. So I guess I just wanted reassurance from my girls so am I doing right by omitting the moo moo milk?
    My name is Rosie and I'm a mother to 3 girls and 2 boys

My girls:Janessa 10.30.93, Reanna 03.25.99 and Mylee 09.20.06
    My sons, Isaiah 07.16.97 and Shawn 09.12.08

Default Re: Are we doing alright?

Ahhh another badly informed medical professional! You keep doing what your doing mama! Your milk is all she needs! When and if you are ready to give her cows milk, just buy the type that is hormone free. Many milk companies are making this switch! Great job nursing so long!

Thanks Sarah. I needed that. Everything she told me today at that visit kinda saddened me because here I've been trying to shut some certain family members up with their criticism about how long I've been nursing her and even if it's doing anything anymore for her. And one being my own mother who mind you has NEVER nursed any of her six children, oh I can see her disappointing looks she gives me once I come to pick Mylee up after work and within minutes from stepping foot in her apartment we are nursing away. 2 yrs. is my goal and it's a goal I shall keep. So hurray no moo moo milk for right now!!!
    Last edited by myleesma; October 8th, 2007 at 09:29 PM.

I can't believe that doctor told you that. What an idiot.
    My oldest (now 8 years old) was breastfed for 19 months and never drank cow's milk. For me, it wasn't because of the hormones and stuff, she simply didn't like it. The best nutrient in cow's milk is the calcium (in my opinion) and my pediatrician has always said that the kids can get that from cheese, yogurt, even calcium fortified o.j. My son loves milk. So he's had it since about 1 year old. My baby girl (who I'm still nursing) hates it like her big sister and I just don't worry about. Breastmilk has been proven, time and again, to be the best nutrition. Keep it up! (ignore your critics!)
    Mary - mom to Gabriela (3.20.99), Steven (5.17.01) and Sofia (3.20.06)

So your 8 yr. old never drank cows milk? It's so reassuring to hear that. I had thought about that time and time again like what if she never did drink it and is it ok. I wish I had all this knowledge stored up in that little bean inside my head when people say these things so I can just let it all roll off my tongue. But everytime I'm confronted with ignorance I get so angry I just smile and say uh huh.

My 2.5 year old doesn't like cows milk, either. She is no longer nursing, but gets calcium in her "soupies" (yogurt smoothies) and orange juice. It's all good - I'm not against cows milk per se, but they can get the nutrients elsewhere.

Amy

We don't want to do cow's milk either. I plan to BF until 2 because BM is the best alternative. It's not just added hormones & what have you that we want to avoid, it's the cows natural hormones, so organic or hormone free would still be something we would want to avoid. There are many ways to get the calcium & fat they need other then CM. I don't understand why so many ped act like your milk looses all value after 1. That's just silly!! Keep up the good work!
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

I completely agree, you are doing JUST FINE! And, yes, it would be fine if she never drank cow's milk, especially if she continues nursing. Think of all the kids with dairy allergies...do the doctors say OMG, he's not going to grow anymore without any cow's milk!! No, they calmly suggest other ways to get the nutrients. And, humans wouldn't really NEED cow's milk at all if everyone nursed until their natural age of weaning. Cow's milk is the substitute for breastmilk when people wean early - not the other way around. I am not an anti-dairy person. I think it is a convenient source of protein and calcium (and I love cheese, yogurt, and ice cream ). However, it certainly is NOT a necessity. Why would another animal's milk be better for a human than human milk???

Are familiar with this link? http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html