Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: House paint -> BM

Default House paint -> BM

I've tried to search the site and the forums and haven't found an answer yet. I might just be missing it, dunno feeling kind of blonde lately. :-/

We just bought a house and need to paint the entire inside of it. Do any of you know if the chemicals in the paint will make their way into my bm? Is there anything I can do to avoid it if it does? I have to do the majority of the painting as my husband works full-time and there isn't anyone else that can do it. I have one adult friend that should be able to help most of the time and my 14yo might be able to help some of the time, but I might need my 14 yo to play with the baby while I paint.

My next question is what about breathing the paint fumes for 3 mo? Anything I should be aware of there? It is at least still warm enough that I'll be able to have all the windows open while painting and I wouldn't have the baby in the same room, but I might need to have her on the same floor some of the time. i.e. If I'm painting the kitchen, have her in the living room.

Thanks!
    Jessica

Default Re: House paint -> BM

Hi, I found some info on it! I was wondering also. From what I have read I would try to avoid it as much as possible. Lots of air ventalation and wear a mask and gloves etc.. Definally keep baby away if you can. HTH

Paint & Paint Fumes

This should not be a problem, but it is recommended that you minimize your exposure to the paint and paint fumes. Use lots of ventilation (particularly if you are inside) and wear gloves to minimize skin contact. If you can find it, use a low-odor paint (they have fewer volatiles).

Q. If I were to paint a room (and therefore be exposed to significant paint fumes), would those find their way into my milk?

A. It depends on the type of paint you're using. Generally, whatever makes it into your body is going to make it into your milk, sometimes in small quantities, sometimes in larger quantities. Apparently,most paints are low-fumes now, especially latex, and you could wear a mask as well, but for total safety, pass the whole job along to your dh, and go out to the park with the babe while he's working. There's no sense exposing yourselves to toxins if you don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by mommywith3 View Post
    Hi, I found some info on it! I was wondering also. From what I have read I would try to avoid it as much as possible. Lots of air ventalation and wear a mask and gloves etc.. Definally keep baby away if you can. HTH
    Ah crap, figures. :-( I'll have to do my best to keep her on a separate floor from wherever we are painting, keep all the windows open. I'll have to see about a mask and a long sleeve shirt I can wear to keep the paint off me. Why can't anything be flippin' easy?

Sorry, been one of those days/weeks, everything that could have gone wrong pretty much has or has had to be done in the most complicated way possible. Ugh.

Thanks for the info,
    Jessica

There is one type of paint that is safer for you- it is Harmony paint from Sherwin Williams and it is ZERO VOC, which means it has none of the volatile organic compounds that would be out-gassed by the paint. It also is low odor. We used it to paint before and after the baby was born. I am not an expert and can't say if it is 100% safe, but it is a much better alternative and I felt better about using it. Good luck!

They make paint that is fume free IIRC.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin