Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Need advice

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2

    Default Need advice

    My daughter was born at 35weeks gestation, but presented 33. We've been out of the NICU for a little bit and we just passed her due date, so her corrected age is 2 days. Yesterday, it seemed like she was always nursing, but she would nurse for 10 mins, fall asleep at the breast, then wake up in an hour and want to eat again.

    I'm taking domperidone, brewer's yeast, fenugreek, and blessed thistle because we were concerned about my supply while we were in the NICU...and now I'm worried again. Yesterday, when I pumped after feeding her, I was only getting about 10 ml and that's both breasts together.

    She has been gaining lately, she was born at 4lbs 8oz and at the midwives on Friday she was 5lbs 5oz. We are all quite happy with her weight gain.

    We have been giving her a few feeds with a lactation aid, and I put in whatever I pump...most days, I put in about 30ml.

    I haven't been pumping as much, which may be part of the problem, but when it was like yesterday, there wasn't much time in between feeds.

    We are also using a nipple shield...that started in the hospital but we can't get her to open her mouth big enough. We switched to a wider shield to get her to stretch her mouth so hopefully that will help and we can get her off that.

    Her output it good, lots of wet and messy diapers...some days 6 messy diapers...we are going to the breastfeeding clinic again tomorrow, now that the long weekend is over, but I would appreciate any advice you have.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,866

    Default Re: Need advice



    Quote Originally Posted by singin_angel View Post
    Yesterday, it seemed like she was always nursing, but she would nurse for 10 mins, fall asleep at the breast, then wake up in an hour and want to eat again.
    Breast compressions might help your baby stay awake longer at the breast. Here's a page on how to do the technique:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html
    And here's some videos that show you how to do it:
    http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html


    Quote Originally Posted by singin_angel View Post
    I'm taking domperidone, brewer's yeast, fenugreek, and blessed thistle because we were concerned about my supply while we were in the NICU...and now I'm worried again. Yesterday, when I pumped after feeding her, I was only getting about 10 ml and that's both breasts together.
    How often is your baby nursing?

    Here's some information on maximizing your milk production with a pump:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

    Quote Originally Posted by singin_angel View Post
    Her output it good, lots of wet and messy diapers...some days 6 messy diapers...we are going to the breastfeeding clinic again tomorrow, now that the long weekend is over, but I would appreciate any advice you have.
    Great!


    I hope this helps a little. Congrats on your new baby! Do keep us updated on your progress.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    723

    Default Re: Need advice

    My situation was very similar to yours. I know it is super hard, but pumping whenever you can really seems to help. It does get better! You should be extremely proud to have gotten so far already!!
    Tracy...Mommy to my two beautiful girls - Kinzie Marie, 1/19/01 and Ryan Renee, 2/1/07
    Married to Danny, an amazing husband and father - 3/22/03

    Age Ticker

    Breast milk is better than any udder milk!

    My opinion is that anybody offended by breastfeeding is staring too hard. ~David Allen

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •