Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 mo's and Dreaded percentages!

Default 5 mo's and Dreaded percentages!

Ok, so I know the whole "some baby has to be in the lower percentile things," but we went for our well visit today and LO was 9lbs 10 oz when born and then dropped to the 50-75% by 3 months and stayed there until this months when today he was 15-25 in height and weight. He was 16lb 2 oz. I was just wondering what all those of you who have 5 month olds, what they weigh . . . and what about the drop in percentage? anyone else have this experience? of course I know we are fine and he is consisten in height and weight/ diapers/ milestones etc. Just wondering, why is it that we obsess?!? And also, does anyone know w link for the bf baby charts? Just wondering how they differ.

Also, sad note, at the begiinning of every well visit, pedi always says, nursing still going well? (assuming we still are, and that is wonderful) today, she asks "so are we nursing or bottle fed?" Of course when I said bf she was super encouraging and happy about it, just sad that around this time 5 1/2 months pp tend to taper off and wean. sad huh? My LO loves to nurse and hates a bottle, at first I only had a goal of 6 months, but of course now we have pushed that to a year! It would be aweful to wean my happy bfer now!

Ok, so this post had a lot of of extra! Sorry!

Default Re: 5 mo's and Dreaded percentages!

heck you almost had a ten lb baby...bigger babies can grow slower then smaller ones.
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...wthcharts.html

I experienced this percentile drop at 6 months for both my girls. I've said it in other posts, but my ped puts it like this. For the first six months, BF babies do well due to good nutrition. After that, genes start to kick in. I'm short, DH is tall, but thin - we have petite girls. Both of mine were 50-75% birth to 6 months, then down to 10-25% after that. DD#1 is 2.5 years old and in the 5%, but healthy in every way! So, how big are you and DH? If you are smaller or average size, chances are baby will be, too. Don't worry - I'm sure your lo is exactly the size he is supposed to be.

Amy

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Don't worry about the charts too much. He's gaining, so that's all that matters. Also I understand that babies born big (and yours certainly was a whopper!) tend to gain slower. And BF babies slow down their weight gain as they get older.

My DS was about 5.5months when he was last weighed - you can see his stats in the signature (bad mummy - I can't remember exactly what it was!) So yours is heavier than mine. They don't measure baby's length very often in the UK.

The breastfed growth charts are here (although these are in kilos, not pounds):
    http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/en/

You're right - we do obsess about baby's weight. I wonder if FF mums do the same as much. I suppose it's because we can't see how much baby is eating. I know early on when DS's weight was a worry, I judged my ability to be a good mum purely on how well he fed and his weight.

My DS was on the 50th centile when he was born and rapidly dropped (within 2 weeks) to the 3rd. He's hovered around the 5th centile ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sMum View Post
    You're right - we do obsess about baby's weight. I wonder if FF mums do the same as much. I suppose it's because we can't see how much baby is eating. I know early on when DS's weight was a worry, I judged my ability to be a good mum purely on how well he fed and his weight.

My DS was on the 50th centile when he was born and rapidly dropped (within 2 weeks) to the 3rd. He's hovered around the 5th centile ever since.
    I only bf my dd for 3 months and NO I did not obsess about her weight, I was happy to have a small baby! Funny huh! I guess bc ds weight is completely dependent upon me, it puts a little more stress into the equation! With formula, you never wonder if they are getting enough or what you do or eat will affect them. While bf is WAY better, it makes you have to be way more observant and in tune with dc I love it! (but maybe with a little less obsessing!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sMum View Post
    Haha you just described me a month ago. I was going crazy I think some of you remember.

Yeah, I agree, the fact that we cant see how much baby is getting is really frustrating..hence why I finally switched to bottlefeeding EBM at 6 mths (also becoz DS is too distracted to take the breasts ).

And yes, by 5mth, my baby dropped from 40-50% to almost 10% I think he weighed about only 13lb+ then. Till today I dont know if its becoz he's just a small baby or that he was too distracted and was not eating enough..
    Last edited by selina21; October 8th, 2007 at 11:34 PM.

At 5 months, I believe my son was at about 18.5 pounds. He's now 9 months and tipping the scales at a little over 22 pounds.

Don't worry about the weight gain. As long as he's gaining, is happy, healthy, etc...it's all good. Everything will catch up eventually. Just enjoy the nursing and know that he's getting exactly what he needs from you and that's all that matters, right now.

Well lookie here! Your 5 month old LO isn't the smallest! Mine is!!! Hahaha, he was born 6 lbs 4 oz, and now at 5 months he is 13 lbs 6 oz. So to me your LO is big haha. And he has always been on the low side of things for weight. I think height he is on the high end cause he is probably 26.5 - 27 inches now. Plus he is so active I wonder how he keeps any of the calories and converts them to fat, haha.

Glad to know I am not the only one who stresses about this. Don't worry OP (and Ulkieab) my babe is even smaller and is a little over 6 months old! She had her Well Baby check up today and tipped the scale at 12 lbs 12 oz. She is in the 5th percentile for height and weight, I am just glad she is still on the charts! I haven't started her on any solids yet, still just BF, but I think I need to. Doctor said she is healthy though and he said anything on the chart if NORMAL! The only problem is I prebought her clothes before she was born and all her winter stuff is 6-9 months and she is still in 3 month clothes! I have the cutest Baby Gap Summer dress that I got before she is born, it is sized 3-6 months and is ridiculously big on her, I think it might fit her next Spring!

Quote Originally Posted by tessa67 View Post
    I have the cutest Baby Gap Summer dress that I got before she is born, it is sized 3-6 months and is ridiculously big on her, I think it might fit her next Spring!
    Hey thats not a bad thing if she still gets to wear it!! My DS is growing out of his clothes only if they have feet, cause his feet are huge and his legs are long. So pants and all that he grows out of quickly.

And I'm glad you aren't too worried about her weight. As long as she is healthy and happy then she is just fine the way she is.