Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning questions

Default Weaning questions

Hello,

I have an 11-1/2 month old dd who has no interest in bf except at 4 in the morning. I feel like my milk supply has gone down and pumped the other day just to see how much I was getting and to try to get my dd to drink it from a cup, I only got about 1-1/2 ounces out of one side and not much out of the other. I have a pretty efficient pump and I tried to pump for as long as or longer than my dd usually nurses. She also wouldn't drink the breast milk from a cup. She bf's about 5 times a day. I have tried to supplement with formula but I can't find a formula that she will drink. The only thing she will drink out of a cup is juice, but that's not very nutritious so I don't give it to her that often. She is meeting all of her developmental milestones, but I am worried that she isn't getting enough to drink during the day. She does eat quite a bit of solids (3 meals a day with maybe 2 small snacks) and I am more than ready to wean her, I just don't know what to replace my milk with. I know breastfeeding has lots of benefits, but I don't think I can go through the work it would take to gain back my milk supply. I would appreciate any help or advice anyone may have.

Thank you!!

Default Re: Weaning questions

I think after 12 months it is safe to give a baby cow's milk. Just a couple of more weeks. Here is a article by Dr. Sears.

http://www.parenting.com/parenting/b...768804,00.html

I'd guess that if she's eating as well as that -- 3 meals a day and snacks -- you don't really need to worry about "replacing"; you could just start gradually cutting out the breast-feeds (and giving lots of cuddles instead). Probably she'll learn to drink when she's thirsty; just keep reminding her. Can you get her to drink water, maybe if you try a different kind of cup? My daughter loves drinking from a grown-up, non-sippy cup (I hold it for her); or one of those sports water bottles, she likes them a lot; or a cup with some much-loved image, like teddy bears. I know cows milk is fine after about a year. But I've also read that it's also fine if the baby doesn't like it; no big deal, as long as she's getting enough calcium from other food, and enough water.

I started weaning at 10 months. I found out that my supply went down. I noticed he was not gaining weight. He was functioning fine, but he just wasn't gaining. He had goodstart about 3x a day. I started with is morning feeding and progressed from there. I never got engorged. I just stopped nursing 2 weeks ago. He refused one evening. It took 2 months for me. Very gradual. I gave him cows milk one week early before he turned one. I did mix with formula due to i did not get anything when I pumped ( not even really an ounce) It made it easier for him to drink. Now after a week of doing that, he can drink cows milk all by itself. Logan did not like any other type of formula. I do not know if you tried Goodstart?

Thank you so much for your kind answers and support!! I did try good start and that is the only one that she was remotely interested in, she would take a couple sips before pushing it away, the rest she would spit out on the first try. I also tried pediasure to see if the flavor was what she didn't like and she didn't care for that either. My pediatrician said that I could giver her cows milk from 9 months, but when I've tried that she doesn't like it either so we don't do that. I didn't know that it was ok to give her water and make sure she was getting her calcium and vitamin d other places, I may try that. Also I have tried all different cups... regular sippy cups, sports type cups, a regular cup and a straw. She seems to like the straw the best with juice, so I will try just water and maybe add a little good start (maybe cows milk after she is one) at a time to see if she will aquire a taste. I saw on another post that evaporated milk might work? Does anyone know about that? Also I was thinking of trying the good start soy to see if she likes that better.

Again THANK YOU!!