Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not nursing and not sleeping

Default Not nursing and not sleeping

Hi, I don't know what to do! My ds is 4 months old and the last few weeks have been just awful. I thought ds was going through a growth spurt, since he ate every 2 to 3 hours. Problem is he just doesn't take that much when he eats either. He has ALWAYS only eaten maybe 5 minutes on each side, but lately I'm lucky if I can get him to eat for 5 minutes total.

So now it has gotten worse. He is up constantly during the night every 3 hours to eat and in between I can get him back to sleep by giving him a pacifier. He also won't nap! Maybe 25 minutes 3x day. errrrr!

But now when he eats he is pulling on my nipple, arching his back and kicking and punching me. He did this when we first started out too and occasionally still does. I guess he has always been a fussy nurser. But now it is constant and like I said I can barely get five minutes in.

I'm so frustrated and I have given him formula twice in the past 2 days. Once because I wasn't home in time to feed him and my dh fed him. (no pumped supply left) and then again just now. He takes the bottle beautifully. So of course you know what I'm debating....

I'm supposed to get him vaccinated in 2 days for his 4 month visit and he really stops eating after getting his shots so now I really don't know what to do! I think I'll ask the Dr. to postpone those.

So I guess my question is....Is this normal? Is it a nursing strike? When will he sleep through the night or the very least go maybe more than 3 hours a night so I can sleep again!?

Thanks!
    Karyn

Default Re: Not nursing and not sleeping

Oh boy... if my DS would sleep more then 3 hours at a time I would be happy. My DS is 5 months old, and sleeps about 3 hours then 2-3 then is usually up every hour. He's teething right now but he has been doing this for awhile, which I still chalk up to teething... Every LO is different though. I don't know what to do with the nursing though. Maybe go into a dark quiet room and nurse him in there? How often do you nurse him? I know sometimes he won't eat all that much but thats because I don't think he is actually hungry and I'm just feeding him way too soon, and then he is on for only 5 mins.

Maybe someone else would come along to offer up some better advice cause I really don't have any for you.

Does your baby seem distracted when you put him to the breast? At around 4mths babies are more aware of their surroundings and may feel that they are missing out on all the actions while nursing. I had this problem when DS was this age. These links may help.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ible-baby.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

The 25min nap is very common too (baby's sleep cycle last 30-40minutes). At 4mo, my LO naps 30min 3x a day, and his final nap would last 1.5hr. I learned the trick to make him sleep longer is to make sure he is really full before putting him down for his nap.

HTH.

My LO is 11 months and still nurses every 2-3 hours, and this is without a growth spurt. Like the pp said, it really varies from baby to baby.
    At 4-6 mo. my LO was refusing to nurse, and looking around. He was just so curious in the world. I had to do frequent short feedings just to keep giving him nourishment, and I kept night nursing as well. It did end up passing as he got older. Now he is efficient at the breast, so even though he nurses frequently, the feedings are quick and easy.

At 4 months, every 3 hours might be normal for your LO. Each one is so different. Here is a link to dr. Sears about sleep. I posted the index of topics.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070100.asp
    Sleep Index
    8 Infant Sleep Facts Every Parent Should Know
    31 Ways to Get Your Baby to Sleep and Stay Asleep
    Bedwetting
    Hidden Medical Causes of Nightwaking
    Sleep Trainers: Buyer Beware!
    Night Weaning: 12 Alternatives for the All-Night Nurser
    Night Terrors
    5 Reasons Why High-Need Infants Sleep Differently
    Sleep Safety
    SIDS: The Latest Research on How Sleeping With Your Baby is Safe.
    Co-Sleeping: Yes, No, Sometimes?
    FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT SLEEP PROBLEMS
    "Questions of the Day" about sleep

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

What have you tried to keep his attention on eating? I've found that when my ds seems to be fussy/distracted I several different options to try. Sometimes, I'm feeding him too soon (before he really wants food), so I've learned that when he is doing short (5 min or less feeds) that I need to make myself wait longer before attempting another latch. Also, I've found that taking off my top and his so that we are skin-to-skin works really well.

OMG - Can I say I am soooo looking forward to 5 minute feeds! My 3 mo twins are still taking their sweet time, but it's getting shorter bit by bit as they learn more tricks and realize how much fun it is to play!

This is a normal 4 month old thing. It passes. Here's some info:
    www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/4mo-sleep.html

Quote Originally Posted by maplegoldie View Post
    What have you tried to keep his attention on eating? I've found that when my ds seems to be fussy/distracted I several different options to try. Sometimes, I'm feeding him too soon (before he really wants food), so I've learned that when he is doing short (5 min or less feeds) that I need to make myself wait longer before attempting another latch. Also, I've found that taking off my top and his so that we are skin-to-skin works really well.
    Nursing necklaces work well, LO can play with it while nursing. Bracelets work..sometimes I used my hand as a toy. I would let him grab at my fingers. Also nursing in the rocker in his room, with no distractions.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

I make funny faces at him. And when he reaches his hand to touch my face I would pretend to bite his fingers, suck his fingers etc.. My babe is hyperactive, so I have to do this while feeding him his bottle too. Breastfeeding is kind of impossible with him

Yup this sounds like my DS. Remember that at 4 months they not only become very interested in the world around but also a prime time to start teething, which makes nursing different than before.

Definately wait until your baby is hungry to nurse, they tend to be nicer when they're hungry. Also, if possible nurse in a darkened quiet room. I found it very helpful to reduce distractions such as the TV and toys.

My DS also was into the kicking and punching when nursing so now I put a blanket over his body (we nurse laying down) to control his limbs. It works for us. I did have to become more firm with him- I will hold his hand if he's swinging it around or rest my hand on his leg if he's kicking. And if he's just into fun and games I stop nursing and we try again later.

Hang in there!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09