Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: baby/toddler recipes

Default Re: baby/toddler recipes

Quote Originally Posted by KathrynK View Post
    Do you take the skin off the tomatoe and the seeds out? Or do you just chop it as is? So you puree ground beef? That is a great idea! Obviously you brown it first, then puree, then freeze? Sorry for so many questions!
    The skin of the tomato comes off when I grate it (I use an old fashioned grater where you have to rub the tomato against a piece of metal so in the end the skin is left over in my hand) and I don't take the seeds out. You can also peel it and use a food processor instead of a grater.
    With beef, I use steak because it doesn't have much fat. I put it in some boiling water and boil it for about 2 hours (if you chop the steak into small pieces first it will take a shorter amount of time.) Then I puree it with a hand blender and put them into ice cube trays along with the juice (since many vitamins/minerals go into the juice when you boil meat). It takes a bit too much time but I do it in bulks so I don't have to do it too often.

Thanks so much! I'm going to try that!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Quote Originally Posted by ES1967 View Post
    What I do sometimes is if there is a vegetable that seems kinda boring I will use an earths best jar as a sauce over the veggies. The squash one he seems to like best. I did this more early on when ds was 8-9 months. Re the tofu you can crush cheerios and coat the tofu with the crushed cereal mixture. I got that from the Superfood baby book. I also, bread the tofu with breadcrumbs and either bake or fry in a tiny bit of olive oil. I'll dip the tofu in flour, egg then breadcrumbs. Tonight, I made mashed sweet potatoe with leeks and baked tofu. I'm lucky DS loves everything!!
    I tried this tonight and ds loved it!!! I dipped cubed tofu in a beaten egg, rolled it in italian breadcrumbs, and fried in a little evoo. Then I tossed it with a little organic marinara, and grated some provolone on it. HE LOVED IT!!! thanks for the idea!

I also bought some shelled edamame and sauteed it in seseme oil. He ate a little of that too.
    keep the ideas coming!!!

Kathryn,
    born on 11/2/2006

born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Quote Originally Posted by KathrynK View Post
    I tried this tonight and ds loved it!!! I dipped cubed tofu in a beaten egg, rolled it in italian breadcrumbs, and fried in a little evoo. Then I tossed it with a little organic marinara, and grated some provolone on it. HE LOVED IT!!! thanks for the idea!

I also bought some shelled edamame and sauteed it in seseme oil. He ate a little of that too.
    keep the ideas coming!!!
    my lo LOVES edamame

A good snack I have found is carrots cooked in honey. Of course for lo's over 1. Just enough carrots to fill the bottom of the pot with distilled water just covering the carrots. I then add 2 teaspoons of honey & cook a little under medium heat until they are tender. I use organic. He's not a very good eater & he loves these so far! (that's me keeping my fingers crossed) I'm trying to find things to keep his food more interesting so he'll hopefully eat better. Thanks for starting this thread!

Another thing I plan to try is making my own fruit roll ups. My mom is going to loan me a food dehydrator. They're going to be 100% fruit!
    Last edited by smidgin; October 12th, 2007 at 10:11 PM.
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

I was just thinking about the cubed tofu, with my first lo, I cubed it and tossed it with some marinara sauce; I have never tried egg, flour, breadcrumb and sauteeing in evoo... sounds yummy!... but also like a lot of work. But I remember she really liked tofu with tomato sauce and peas. Also, if you do dairy later on, sprinkling some shredded cheese over it works well (same for whole grain pasta in place of the tofu). The sauce helps hold it all together so they can get it from the tray to their mouth
    Yep, when my first lo was 8-9 mo. we did a lot of tofu with Earth's Best jarred veggies over it. In fact, I think her favorite was turkey vegetable over tofu cubes (no cooking required). Also brown rice with lentils (and if it is not sticking together in easy to pick up clumps, a little jarred food or cheese or egg helps with this too (later on after you choose to introduce these items, of course).
    My newest lo just started solids last week!! It is a lot of work juggling it in with a two year old to feed as well! Yikes! I guess we'll get the hang of it soon enough... just like everything else, it just takes a few times to figure out what works...

Yums! I'll add the two creations that I came up with recently that my 10 month old lo loved.
    The first one was coconut quinoa and lentils with sweet potato. Super easy too. Just cook the quinoa with a little shredded coconut add some cooked lentils and sweet potato pieces and serve. It was a combo finger/spoon fed meal.
    The second one was corn elbow pasta, mixed with a little organic ricotta, tomato paste, and chopped spinach. That was all finger food because the other ingredients stuck to the pasta. She loved it.
    Enjoy!

What is quinoa? I've heard a bunch of talk about it on here!
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    &
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &

Connor's age ticker

I'm not sure what quinoa is either? I would love to try that though. I am going to try the elbows, ricotta, and spinach next!!!
    Thanks for all these great ideas. I wanted to share something I made tonight, and ds wolfed it down. Finally, he ate veggies without knowing it...
    I sauteed some organic hamburg with onion, I added some diced tomatoes, a little chopped garlic (maybe half a clove), some dark kidney beans, some chopped red and green peppers, some shredded carrot, and some sweet corn (kind of like a chili). I let it simmer for a couple hours, and then I used the immersion blender to blend it all together. I mixed it with brown rice and organic shredded cheddar. DS loved it. I think its the first veggies he's eaten in a while. YIPPEE!!! The peppers and sweet corn gave it a nice sweet taste.

I also gave him some cubed cold tofu today with just a sprinkle of onion powder, and he ate it! I always get so excited when he eats something.

We are making progress. Keep sending ideas!!!

Kathryn,
    born on 11/2/2006

born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

That's great that he's eating more! I'm going to get groceries today & I will be trying most of these recipes! I would love for my son to start eating better! He also got his iron supplement today, so hopefully that will help too! I guess anemia will cause eating problems! I just looked into tofu & it looks like a good choice.
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    &
    &
    &

Connor's age ticker