Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: baby/toddler recipes

Default Re: baby/toddler recipes

Hello moms. Just wanted to respond to your questions about quinoa. Quinoa is a grain. It is really good, and it is a nice addition to anyone's diet because it just adds variety. It is also really high in iron, so if you are a veg, it can be a very important source of iron. It cooks quicker than whole grain rice and has a nutty flavor, kind of like basmatti. Love it. BTW, it has a weird pronunciation, I was saying it wrong forever, you pronounce it like "KEEN-WAH". Cheers.

it also is high in protein, and i think some tribes have believed it increases breastmilk production, though I don't know if there's any research on that or not.
    Some people can't stand it, though, check the iron chef called "quinoa and avocado" pretty funny stuff.
    It just takes a little experimenting to find what you like to flavor it with (like rice - you dont usually eat it plain!)
    Stefanie, momma to

deacon james 09.22.06

I made another yummy recipe ds liked...
    saute 1/4 onion in EVOO, pepper, and onion powder, and oregano. Add organic diced tomatoes, chunks of zuchini, and carrot sticks. Simmer until veggies are tender. Immersion blend to a puree. Mix with whole grain pasta and organic cottage cheese. DS gobbled it down!!!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Quote Originally Posted by KathrynK View Post
    I made another yummy recipe ds liked...
    saute 1/4 onion in EVOO, pepper, and onion powder, and oregano. Add organic diced tomatoes, chunks of zuchini, and carrot sticks. Simmer until veggies are tender. Immersion blend to a puree. Mix with whole grain pasta and organic cottage cheese. DS gobbled it down!!!
    That sounds sooo good. How old was your lo when you first gave him cottage cheese? My dd had a contact rash (at 9 mo) from tasting some plain whole fat yogurt, so I'm a little nervous and have been holding off from dairy products ever since. (She's going to be 1 yo soon.)
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

I started at about 10.5 months, just a test with yo-baby yogurt, and he did well with it. I slowly have been trying different dairy. He now eats cottage cheese, yo-baby yogurt, and mild shredded cheddar, and handles them all well.The only thing I am going to hold off on for a long time is cows milk. (I'd rather he get mostly mama milk)

Quote Originally Posted by VAmom View Post
    That sounds sooo good. How old was your lo when you first gave him cottage cheese? My dd had a contact rash (at 9 mo) from tasting some plain whole fat yogurt, so I'm a little nervous and have been holding off from dairy products ever since. (She's going to be 1 yo soon.)

Kathryn,
    born on 11/2/2006

born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Just made this today and my boy LOVED it! My Grandma used to make it for us when we were little.

Take an acorn squash and cut it in half. Dig out the
    seeds and "inards". Take a few thin slices of butter (I use real butter)
    and lay them inside the hollowed out openings. Then sprinkle about 1-2 teaspoons of brown sugar over the butter. (I'm OK with giving him a little sugar. It's not "high fructose corn syrup" or anything - he's also almost 1) Sprinkle with cinnamon. Wrap both halves in tin foil (top and bottom makes it easy to clean up) and bake at 400 for about 30-40 minutes. (insert
    knife until soft) Then dig out the insides and blend in a processor.
    It's so good and makes the house smell wonderful!

Wow, that sounds delicious! Going to try that with maple sugar crystals (lower glycemic index than sugar)

Kathryn,
    born on 11/2/2006

born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK