Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: baby/toddler recipes

Default baby/toddler recipes

I posted this on family nutrition as well, but I never get many responses on there...

I am always looking for well-rounded and healthy recipes for my LO. So I decided to post one that I created and he enjoys! I'm hoping other pp will post some recipes too. I am looking for new ideas for my almost 1 year old. Preferably ones that include veggies and whole grains. Any ideas/recipes/suggestions would be much appreciated!

This is one that I make:
    I saute one chopped leek (white part) and some chopped zuchini or yellow squash in unsalted butter
    I cook annie's mac n cheese pasta (whole grain) but omit the powder mix. You can also use barilla protein pasta...but it does have egg whites in it.
    I mix it all together with a little onion powder, and some organic shredded mild cheddar. DS loves it

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Default Re: baby/toddler recipes

Annie's powder is actually okay. It's pretty much just dried cheese. It's definitely not the same as the bright orange, ultra-processed stuff. Fresh is, of course, best. But, if you're short on ingredients, IMHO, Annie's isn't a bad choice. Ingredients here: http://www.annies.com/products/dw_pasta.htm

For other "recipes", simple foods are easy and best. Some examples might be: zuchinni sauteed in olive oil (maybe a little garlic, too, if your baby likes it), steamed broccoli, pasta primavara (bowties, peas, carrots, parmesean, olive oil), steamed peas and carrots, whole wheat toast with tomato sauce dip, meat balls, baked apples...ect.

Here's a book with actual recipes: Whole Foods for Babies and Toddlers.

Thanks so much! I just ordered that book on amazon. I am very excited! The only reason I leave out the powder, is b/o the sodium content. I'm sure it's great for older ones though! It doesn't have junk in it.

Kathryn,
    born on 11/2/2006

born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Quote Originally Posted by KathrynK View Post
    I posted this on family nutrition as well, but I never get many responses on there...

I am always looking for well-rounded and healthy recipes for my LO. So I decided to post one that I created and he enjoys! I'm hoping other pp will post some recipes too. I am looking for new ideas for my almost 1 year old. Preferably ones that include veggies and whole grains. Any ideas/recipes/suggestions would be much appreciated!

This is one that I make:
    I saute one chopped leek (white part) and some chopped zuchini or yellow squash in unsalted butter
    I cook annie's mac n cheese pasta (whole grain) but omit the powder mix. You can also use barilla protein pasta...but it does have egg whites in it.
    I mix it all together with a little onion powder, and some organic shredded mild cheddar. DS loves it
    I'm going to try this soon. I have a box of that pasta too. Alexander just turned one and I am looking for ideas too-lunch and dinner. I have been giving him whatever I eat less any salt. Last night I made vegetarian stuffed green peppers(wild rice,mushrooms,onions,veggie crumbles). I made a tomato sauce and potatoes w it. I know the veggie crumbles have sodium so I used very little. Some other things we do-sweet potatoe wedges,cubes of tofu (he loves), tons of steamed veggies, Mashed carrots,potatoes and onions or try mashed potatoe and spinach. So far DS will eat anything I make. He is a very big eater.
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Lawrence\My Documents\My Pictures\DSC00970.jpg
    Mommy to Alexander
    Born Oct 6,2006

11girl is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Vegetarian Baby by Sharon Yntema is also a really good book with recipes and lots of nutritional info.

Quote Originally Posted by ES1967 View Post
    I'm going to try this soon. I have a box of that pasta too. Alexander just turned one and I am looking for ideas too-lunch and dinner. I have been giving him whatever I eat less any salt. Last night I made vegetarian stuffed green peppers(wild rice,mushrooms,onions,veggie crumbles). I made a tomato sauce and potatoes w it. I know the veggie crumbles have sodium so I used very little. Some other things we do-sweet potatoe wedges,cubes of tofu (he loves), tons of steamed veggies, Mashed carrots,potatoes and onions or try mashed potatoe and spinach. So far DS will eat anything I make. He is a very big eater.
    See, my ds is is soooo finicky. He turns down almost everything. I have tried the tofu cubes, even drizzled with olive oil, and he spits it out. I steam veggies, he spits them out. I made him a baby bolognese today (from a baby cookbook). He turned it down. It is so frustrating for me. He lives off of avocados, bananas, cheerios, eggs, cheese, all kinds of fruits, and breastmilk (mostly breastmilk). He turns down almost all veggies. Even sweet squashes!

Kathryn,
    born on 11/2/2006

born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

my lo is picky too. but she is the opposite. she hates everything EXCEPT veggies. btw your lo and i have the same birthday!

I grate 1 zucchini and 1 tomato, mix them with 1 tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil and 3 cubes of pureed beef (I puree and freeze them in ice cube trays since my son can never eat sufficient amounts of meat if it is not pureed- he has low iron by the way) and some water. After they are cooked a little I add 1/2 cup of whole grain pasta: (http://www.nextag.com/Eden-Foods-Pas...4216E363938979)
    My son loves it although he is quite picky with his food.

Do you take the skin off the tomatoe and the seeds out? Or do you just chop it as is? So you puree ground beef? That is a great idea! Obviously you brown it first, then puree, then freeze? Sorry for so many questions!

Kathryn,
    born on 11/2/2006

born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

What I do sometimes is if there is a vegetable that seems kinda boring I will use an earths best jar as a sauce over the veggies. The squash one he seems to like best. I did this more early on when ds was 8-9 months. Re the tofu you can crush cheerios and coat the tofu with the crushed cereal mixture. I got that from the Superfood baby book. I also, bread the tofu with breadcrumbs and either bake or fry in a tiny bit of olive oil. I'll dip the tofu in flour, egg then breadcrumbs. Tonight, I made mashed sweet potatoe with leeks and baked tofu. I'm lucky DS loves everything!!
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Lawrence\My Documents\My Pictures\DSC00970.jpg
    Mommy to Alexander
    Born Oct 6,2006