Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Newbie W/?

Default Newbie W/?

I'm new to the LLL site . Im not new to BFing. We just had our fifth child in may. So I am once again enjoying every second of our BFing . My question is she only eats off of one side at a feeding. I have been thinking I should pump the other side but haven't done it yet. Should I being doing that ?
    Thanks so much
    Holly

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Newbie W/?

Unless you need a freezer stash, I wouldn't do it b/c then you may end up with too much milk/engorgement. I've been bf my 8 mo one side per feeding since she was 3 weeks, and my supply is still plentiful.

Im no expert, but I never have been able to get my LO to eat from both sides, so I just give her the other breast at the next feeding. Never needed to pump. Your body knows what its doing, so as long as youre not in any pain I say you're fine to go w/o pumping the other breast. Remember that the more milk that is removed, the more your body will make...if you pump the other breast it wont have a chance to regulate itself. Then again, you will probably be able to build up a great freezer stash that way soo...weigh your options and do what you think is best.

and

ITA.... I only started pumping the other side because I returned to work.
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Thank you all for your help. This all came up because a friend at church mentioned it. However she had twins. So I was wondering if I was doing something wrong. My lil one seems to be gaining weight just fine. So I don't think there is a need to pump. I was thinking of creating a stock pile of milk for cereal in a few months but I guess Im not so worried about that. Anyways thanks so much for your help these forums are great. Im so greatful to have such a caring community online. I live in a very small town and we don't have a LLL. Infact the nearest LLL is about two hours away. So ... I hope to make many friends.