Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Avent ISIS Pump Users...

Default Avent ISIS Pump Users...

Hi Ladies.

Am I the only one having trouble getting a letdown with the ISIS pump? Does it take skill or is it the pump? How many letdowns do you get while pumping?

Thanks..

Default Re: Avent ISIS Pump Users...

I only had this problem when I first started using it. It helped me to do short quick pulls at first to stimulate letdown, than longer pulls once the milk started pulling (kind of simulating what a baby would do). You can also put a warm wet towel on your breast for a minute prior to pumping and that might help.
    Does the suction appear to be working properly?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by mollyb View Post
    I only had this problem when I first started using it. It helped me to do short quick pulls at first to stimulate letdown, than longer pulls once the milk started pulling (kind of simulating what a baby would do). You can also put a warm wet towel on your breast for a minute prior to pumping and that might help.
    Does the suction appear to be working properly?
    I believe the suction is ok. I didnt have this problem in the beginning, only recently. Its frustrating coz I cant get enough to build a stash. Some days I dont even have enough and ending up having to supplement! I will try doing the short quick pumps.. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by selina21 View Post
    I believe the suction is ok. I didnt have this problem in the beginning, only recently. Its frustrating coz I cant get enough to build a stash. Some days I dont even have enough and ending up having to supplement! I will try doing the short quick pumps.. Thanks!
    Are you working outside the home? How often are you pumping? It might be worth it if you can afford a double electric such as an Ameda Purely Yours.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I have to pump really quickly for a minute or two at first (makes my hand tired ) and then when the letdown finally happens I can just hold the handle down and it streams out.

I've also heard that the little white disc with the star- shaped thing on it thet goes in the bottom of the pump can get worn out and make you lose suction. You can get new ones if you think that's the problem.

Other probs I've had- if the soft part that goes against your breast isn't attached all the way around the horn you can lose suction, if the clear plastic thing that the handle attaches to isn't secure on the hard plastic frame you can lose suction, too.

Good luck!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by NorasMommy View Post
    I have to pump really quickly for a minute or two at first (makes my hand tired ) and then when the letdown finally happens I can just hold the handle down and it streams out.

I've also heard that the little white disc with the star- shaped thing on it thet goes in the bottom of the pump can get worn out and make you lose suction. You can get new ones if you think that's the problem.

Other probs I've had- if the soft part that goes against your breast isn't attached all the way around the horn you can lose suction, if the clear plastic thing that the handle attaches to isn't secure on the hard plastic frame you can lose suction, too.

Good luck!
    Oh, yeah, I forgot about the star valve! I had to buy some replacements (you can order them direct from Avent for really cheap) but I knew there was a problem because they were actually popping through the little hole when they would get worn out.
    I almost never used the soft insert "let-down stimulator." I didn't find it helpful.

Molly

Quote Originally Posted by mollyb View Post
    Are you working outside the home? How often are you pumping? It might be worth it if you can afford a double electric such as an Ameda Purely Yours.
    No Im a SAHM. Am actually thinking of getting the Swing, in fact, am just about to start another thread about this.. in a short while..

Quote Originally Posted by NorasMommy View Post
    I have to pump really quickly for a minute or two at first (makes my hand tired ) and then when the letdown finally happens I can just hold the handle down and it streams out..
    QUOTE]

Wow.. yeah.. my hand's really tired now, and yet no let-down

I changed the white disc with star thingy (I have a spare).. still - nothing. I have 2 breasts full of milk but I cant get the milk out! Very frustrating....sigh..

3kidsMommy is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

[QUOTE=mollyb;310355]I only had this problem when I first started using it. It helped me to do short quick pulls at first to stimulate letdown, than longer pulls once the milk started pulling (kind of simulating what a baby would do). QUOTE]

Just wanted to second that. Also, my absolute favorite thing to do is get a cup of hot tea and pump in the tub and then make dh stick the milk in the freezer. The more relaxed the better!! Also, it took me awhile to actually be able to do it but you might try pumping the opposite side that lo is nursing on while the baby is nursing. Yeah, its a bit tricky. but i promise it works great!!