Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Very cranky baby

Default Very cranky baby

I'm not sure where to put this, but she is still a newborn, so I figured here would be best.

She is 1 month old today...and has been incredibly cranky the past two days. I think this is due to 2 things. 1) she has not pooped since Monday. She has peed very well throughout the day, but no poop. Previously, she was pooping 2-6 times per day. Her doctor said it's normal to poop just every 1-3 days, but it's seems odd to go from so much to nothing. 2) she hasn't wanted to take naps the past two days. I'll get her to sleep, but she'll wake up like 30 minutes or an hour later. So I'm sure she's tired!! Yesterday she was really hungry. Feeding every hour-2 hours all day and night. Normally she's been doing every 2-4 hours. She's been spitting up a lot of her food after eating it too. She does that sometimes, but not EVERY feeding, like she's been doing the past day or so.

Help???

Smile Re: Very cranky baby

Well my question to you is have you had anything that might would cause her to have gas? Examples would be spicey foods, garlic, onions, etc. She also could be going through a growth spurt. My daughter eats alot more when she is fixing to hit a growth spurt and she is 8 months old. I know its frusterating when they keep waking up and not sleeping when they are susposed too. Its hard at first but it'll get better I promise.

Default Re: Very cranky baby

The frequent eating and disrupted sleep sound like a growth spurt to me -- and if I recall correctly, your baby was slightly premature, right? So she may be hitting her 3-week growth spurt just now.

When she nurses, is she nursing well, with long sucks and audible swallows? Are her wet diapers reassuring you that her milk intake is still good? Barely 1 month is a little early to start "storing" poop, from what I understand.

I hope she settles down and gives you a bit of a break soon.

--Rebecca

Yes, she does seem to be nursing well. She also still gets one bottle of formula per day because by evening time she has sucked me dry. I am slowly storing up pumped milk though, so hopefully soon she'll be getting that in a bottle...or my supply will continue to go up and I can just breastfeed her entirely!! I'm definately reassured that she is getting enough. She has great wet diapers, and when she spits up, I can tell she's had a lot to drink!! My milk supply is so much better than it was just a couple weeks ago, so I'm very happy. I guess she may be going through a growth spurt...she was 3 1/2 weeks early...and last week, she gained 11 oz between doctor visits!! She weighs 6 pounds 11 oz now...and her birth weight was 5 pounds 5 oz. So maybe she is still growing a lot. I finally just got her to sleep in her swing. She definately needs a good nap!! I am a bit worried about the poop. I was surprised that the doctor said 3 days was ok...maybe I'll call someone else to to check. Hopefully she'll go soon and I won't have to worry anymore. I can see her straining like she wants to go...it doesn't seem to bother her though...she gives a little cry when she strains, but then she's fine, so I don't know if it's really hurting her or not.

Smile Re: Very cranky baby

The best way to get your supply up is to have her nurse, I know it seems as if she has sucked you dry by the end of the day, but there will still be some there, and it should be the good fatty hindmilk, the stuff she needs. So just keep nursing her, even when you think there cannot possibly anything left. My little one nursed for hours in the evenings at that age.

As for the poop issue, sometimes when my little one seems to need to go but won't (straining but no pooping, but not constipated) a little anal stimualtion often works. I usually use his diaper cream (Sudocrem) and just rub his bum a little extra when I put it on. Usually works like a charm.

Breastmilk is completely digestible that is why they don't necessarily have to poop everyday.

Keep up the good work.

sounds like what going on with my DS, hes been so cranky the last few days. hes right at a month old. hes hardly slept at all. and even though hes not cueing me constantly to eat it seems to be the only thing thats settling him down. maybe its a one month cranky stage.
    anyway good luck with yours

trust me, at one month, it is perfectly okay for babies to go even a week without a poop!
    My dd did just that, and at the time we were living in a remote place in Brazil with no help or knowledgeable people around that we could talk to (at least, not in English). We were so worried we took dd to the doctor, who thought we were really funny for bringing her in to him - almost all of the women in Bahia grow up around babies and have a great support network of mothers/ aunts/ sisters etc so they already know all this stuff.
    Anyway, its totally normal, dont worry about it.
    actually, be thankfull you have less poopy diapers to deal with
    If she's hungry all the time, it's because she's hungry! simple as that. put her to the breast as much as she wants - its the best way to increase your milk production and to ensure that she gets plenty to eat.
    This is usually a sign of a growth spurt, like the others said, and most babies go through it at around 3-4 weeks.
    It's a good sign!