Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going backwards? weaning 1 feed and doesn't like cow milk...

Default Going backwards? weaning 1 feed and doesn't like cow milk...

Hi
    My daughter is 14 months old and I want to wean her lunchtime feed (mostly for my benefit I admit). We still nurse morning and night, and sometimes during the night.

Anyway, I have tried giving her (whole) cows milk in a sippy cup, AND in a bottle, and she just won't take it! She takes a couple of sips and then isn't interested. I've tried cold, warm etc. Just not interested. However, she WILL take formula in a bottle (slightly warmed). She's only ever had formula about 5 times.

So why is this (it's <12 month old formula that I'd never used before so I figure it doesn't have as much sugar as the toddler formula?). And does anyone have any suggestions for getting her to drink regular cows milk instead for that 1 feed? What did you do when you weaned?

Thanks!

Default Re: Going backwards? weaning 1 feed and doesn't like cow milk...

Hi. If you are still nursing 2-3x a day you can skip milk. I am away from my 21month old all day and he only drinks water and breastmilk. Ever. So while we are apart he drinks water out of a sippy cup. Plenty of cultures do fine with no dairy. You don't need it. As long as your child is still getting BM you don't need to sweat it. I'd skip it completely before giving formula. They put high fructose corn syrup in all of it. Which can only be processed through your liver. And a bunch of other nasty preservatives. I'd just skip milk and try again later. We tried from 12-14months. Then I did a bunch of research and every thing I am finding says that not only is it not needed, it can actually be quite toxic. So at 14months we just stopped trying. He hasn't stopped growing. Continuing to breastfeed has allowed me to feel secure in following his cues. He also isn't very interested in red meat. We don't make him eat anything he isn't interested in. We just try to make sure he has lots of choices to get the protein and calcium he needs and know that breast milk will fill in the gaps! HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

Are you calling it anything when you're giving it to her? My DS wouldn't take milk from me from ages 12-14mo for a few reasons. First of all, I called it "Milk" and that was confusing to him because all he'd known of "Milk" was mama's milk. So he'd take a sip and look at me like I was from another planet. As if to say "Hey, liar, this isn't mama milk!" On a whim, at around 14mo I tried calling it "cow juice" and he drank it and liked it! Then, as much as doctors advise against this, I gave Aaron his cow juice in a bottle rather than a sippy cup. He will drink TONS of milk and loves it at 18mo if he has it from a bottle, but if he has to drink it from a sippy cup, he'll just have 1-2 oz at a time. He's just not a sippy cup guy. Even with water, he'll drink it from a sippy cup, but not much. If I give it to him in a cup, he likes it. I don't give him water in a bottle- but I figure that he won't be using bottles when he's going to Kindergarten, so it's really not a big deal to give some bottles still at his age. HTH!

My DD (13 months) is still nursing about 4 times a day also and I was trying to get her used to cows milk and wean out the lunch feeding also. My little one right out refused. I tried to put it in a different sippy cup. I used the nubby sippy cup as the tip is silicone and similar to a nipple. I use the Playtex hard tip for her water. This way she knows one is water and one is milk. Well I just kept trying. It was a few weeks of throwing milk down the drain, but one day I tried Soy Milk and she drank some. (A friend said her kid refused milk but drank the Soy) So we did that for a few days. Then I tried HOMO (full fat) and she DRANK IT!! I was soo happy. She didn't drink the whole thing but she drank it. We were at my mothers new house and she did not have the air conditioner installed yet so she was a little hot, not sure if that helped. But now she will drink some. So keep offering, but don't make a big deal. Eventually she may take it. Good luck!
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

Hi and thanks for all your answers

Firstly, and very cautiously, I have to say that for the last 2 days she has taken some whole CM. I used formula in a bottle one day, then warm milk in the same bottle the next. I did call it 'milk' and like you said - I wondered whether this was confusing her, so then I called it "bottle" but will have to change this if I ever hope to move to a sippy cup (she also will take a tiny sip of CM from the sippy cup, and then goes 'mmmm' but doesn't want any more!)!!!

Momofaaron, I believe you're right about not 'needing' the milk/formula...she LOVES her cheese and yoghurt...but she actually really 'wants' milk (whether it's me or the bottle) in the middle of the day...she is a different child after she gets it!

I've realised though that I'm still not absolutely ready for her to wean...silly me, just to confuse her more I've offered to nurse AFTER she gets her bottle the last couple of days (because I feel bad giving the bottle )!

Thanks for your help!