Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "new" to breastfeeding!

Default "new" to breastfeeding!

Ok. To avoid making a long story again in another post. I'll quickly just share that I tried bf from the start and jaundice got in the way and i was a pump only breastmilk - fed from a bottle.

Now my dd is 8 weeks and my supply was getting really low. I was nervous that I was going to have to switch to formula, but after taking vitamins (fenugreek) my supply is slowly getting better.

But just for the heck of it ...to my AMAZEMENT, my dd took to the breast for the first time in a month and a half. I am hoping this will bring up my supply as well. I was so excited. but...not sure if its her or my low supply I dont feel like she is getting a lot/enough. I try to listen to her swallowing, but i only really feel like she is in the first 5 min (we still go about 30 min on each breast). I feel liek I am a pacifier after that!

After the HOUR (mom a little sore at this length .. pumping was only 20 min! HAHA) she sometimes still cries, sometimes even screams, like she wants more. SO I feed her half of what I would normally feed her if it was all bottle.

After an hour on the breast should she be satisfied? I know its easier to just give the expressed milk, but I kind of like that she is taking to the breast. But its A LOT of work to sit there for an HOUR..then have to feed her from the bottle anyway!

Any suggestions??
    Thanks =)

Default Re: "new" to breastfeeding!

when my lo about the same age, she would comfort nurse for hours!!! i thought that something was wrong and she could not get any milk. she was nursing for about 5 minutes, and then just using me as a binkie for as long as i would tolerate. a lc we visited encouraged me to unlatch her when she was simply comfort nursing and only let her latch on if she was going to actively nurse. it was hard in the beginning, when i would unlatch her she would almost hiss at me like a cat(it was a little upsetting!) after about a week, life became much better.

My god. Your post could have been written by me! My dd was born Aug 10 and had jaundice and so was bottle fed my expressed milk up until two days ago when she suddenly started taking my breast! (Albeit with a nipple shield.) I'm so happy! Now I just need to wean her off the shield. She's now on my breast for half an hour and seems to get ots of milk but then cries an hour later for more food. I hope people have answers for you because I want to know too!

Your baby still has a sucking reflex, and while she isn't filling her tummy NOW by nursing, that sucking will stimulate more milk production.

It's rough now, but keep it up! You're doing an awesome job. Your supply will increase and you will be able to kiss those bottles goodbye.

Here is an excellent article detailing how to wean off of bottle supplements.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

Quote Originally Posted by jlk51496 View Post

After an hour on the breast should she be satisfied? I know its easier to just give the expressed milk, but I kind of like that she is taking to the breast. But its A LOT of work to sit there for an HOUR..then have to feed her from the bottle anyway!

Any suggestions??
    Thanks =)
    Could it be that your dd just want to suckle at the breast for comfort?
    I'll just let her nurse all she wants. It will increase your supply and the two of you can bond! Remember babies will thake a bottle if offered even if they had all they need to "eat" from the breast.

If you feel that your LO isn't getting enough milk because of a low supply, then having her at the breast as much as possible will defiently help with your supply. And remember, your LO is much more efficient at getting the milk then your pump will ever be.

I pumped for the first 3 weeks after I got home from the hospital because I thought they were going to take him away from me because he wasn't gaining weight or something crazy like that, I don't remember it all too much anymore. But one day I was like okay I'm going to put him back to the breast! And he took to it like a champ and we haven't looked back since.

Just wanted to say congrats!!!
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

thank you for all your suggestions and comments..

ok now a new question. When she eats out of the bottle she sometimes spits up, but its usually watery. But the last two days when she has a breast feed, she spits up more (almost every time even inbetween switching of the breasts) and its VERY THICK ...like a mucus look to it..why is that? is she ok? is this normal?
    thanks again for all you help

My lo only spits up when he eats too much.... so maybe she is getting something when she nurses....
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Re: the spitup thing, my LO's spit up the watery stuff, which I take to be foremilk (?) And then sometimes they spit up creamy lookin stuff which I take to be hindmilk (?) and then sometimes they spitup stuf that looks a little like cottage cheese which I take to be partially digested milk (?). It's all white so I don't really worry about it. Oh the joys of motherhood!
    (At least it doesn't stain, right?)
    LOL