Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gasiness/Stooling and reluctance to nurse during in 12 day old

Default Gasiness/Stooling and reluctance to nurse during in 12 day old

My daughter is 12 days old and we have only breastfed thus far. She has been very sleepy, so it was very difficult for the first week or so, but she is finally starting to wake up, making things much easier! Now our next hurdle is that she has a difficult time nursing when she has to poop or pass gas. Often this means rocking her for 30-60 minutes waiting for the poo to come before she will latch on. (She has a BM after nearly every feeding, so this happens often.)I eliminated some possible offending items from my diet that could be causing her discomfort and things have gotten better but not perfect. Other than the crying spells while trying to pass gas/have a BM, my baby is a very mellow little girl. She is having more than enough poopy and wet diapers and gaining weight like a champ.

Has anyone had similar problems? Any ideas on ways to relieve her discomfort?

Is it possible I am still eating something that could be offending her? I have not eliminated dairy from my diet, so I'm considering that to rule it out.

Thank you for any insight!!

Jen

Default Re: Gasiness/Stooling and reluctance to nurse during in 12 day old

sounds normal for that age. I am new to this but my 3 month old was the same way it just got better with time.

Yes. Sounds pretty normal for me too. Even now at almost 3 months he still fusses when he has gas... but it is not as bad as when he was a baby. I did have to give up cow's milk and soy milk, and a few other items, and it did make it a whole lot better
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Thanks for your input. I will try eliminating dairy to see if that helps!