Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dark Red Spots on Nipples

Default Re: Dark Red Spots on Nipples

i understand the part about dreading it, i had an infection for a while that made it hard, but, your wife needs to try to relax. it will go much more smoothly if she is at least somewhat relaxed. babies can sense if you're stressed out. do you think it's possible that she has over active let down? it's where the milk flow is too much for baby to handle. could be why baby is pulling off. keep in mind that your baby is still very young and it is a learning experience for her and your wife. also, not sure how your doing it, but, try and put the baby to the breast before she starts crying, a crying baby is really hard to get latched and stay on. you all will get through this, i swear! i am coming up on a year with my second!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

It's great to see such a supportive Dad here. I want you to know that you and your wife are both doing GREAT. These early days are sometimes very difficult, but remember that it gets MUCH better. Eventually, breastfeeding is a breeze. For now, it's like a dance that your wife and baby have to figure out together. Breastfeeding is an art, not a science. So much of it is about mother and baby working together and learning about each other. Hang on! They will get there.

Is there anyone you can see in person? Is there a local Leader? An IBCLC (they usually charge for their services)? Do you need help locating someone? When there is an issue with latch, it is always best to be seen. We can help you online to a certain extent, but we can't visualize what is really going on. We can give you information and support, but sometimes mothers need hands on help. If you could see someone in person, they could help your wife with making baby's latch comfortable for her. It's normal for breastfeeding to be a little uncomfortable in the beginning, but it's NOT normal for there to be blood blisters and pain. That means that something is "off" with the positioning/latch. DO NOT WORRY. It is fixable. And it would be a much quicker road to being fixed if your wife was able to see someone who could help her in person.

As far as the sleeping preferences go, that sounds pretty normal. Could you try co-sleeping (following all the safety guidelines, of course)? That way, your wife could nurse and doze. If you need more information on safety, don't hesitate to ask.

During the first few weeks tenderness can occurr when the nipple is stretched as it is pulled back into the babies mouth and palate. Nursing also causes the uterus to contract ( yes, actual contractions happen ) and regains its original shape much faster than in a mother who bottle feeds.
    Have you considered calling your local LLL leader to ask for ideas? A leader should be able to view your wife nursing and give out pointers for a less irritating latch.

i just read back through my posts and i apologize for not suggesting you see a lactation consultant or a local lll leader. thank gosh other people popped in here!! i had one visit me in the hospital before i left and she was great! i def agree with previous people.
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Does any of this sound familiar?

When a mother has more milk than her baby can handle, the following behaviors may be common:

Baby cries a lot, and is often very irritable and/or restless
    Baby may sometimes gulp, choke, sputter, or cough during feedings at breast
    Baby may seem to bite or clamp down on the nipple while feeding
    Milk sprays when baby comes off, especially at the beginning of a feeding
    Mother may have sore nipples
    Baby may arch and hold himself very stiffly, sometimes screaming
    Feedings often seem like battles, with baby nursing fitfully on and off
    Feedings may be short, lasting only 5 or 10 minutes total
    Baby may seem to have a "love-hate" relationship with the breast
    Baby may burp or pass gas frequently between feedings, tending to spit up a lot
    Baby may have green, watery or foamy, explosive stools
    Mother's breasts feel very full most of the time
    Mother may have frequent plugged ducts, which can sometimes lead to mastitis (breast infection)

If many of these experiences seem familiar to you, it may be because you have an overabundant supply of milk, which can cause a forceful milk ejection (sometimes referred to as overactive let-down), and/or foremilk-hindmilk imbalance.[1][2] The infant behaviors described above are caused by these issues but may frequently be misdiagnosed as colic, lactose intolerance, milk protein allergy, reflux, or hypertonicity (stiff muscle tone).
    If this seems to be what is causing the poor latch, Your wife can use a towel to catch the fast flow when her milk lets down and then put baby on again to suck when the flow isn't overwhelming.