Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lengthy feeds and still not sure if he's emptying the breast

Default Lengthy feeds and still not sure if he's emptying the breast

My son is approaching 3 months and his feeding sessions go on for anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour or more from a single breast. Like many people we got off to a rough start with breast feeding but he's now settled into it, latches on well, is gaining weight well, etc., but I still can't get over my fear that if I shorten the sessions that he won't get enough hind milk.
    I can't work out when to switch from one breast to the other as well - at the end of these lengthy sessions I can still get a good spray out of my breast. I express milk and feed him from a bottle for his 10:30am and 10:30pm feedings and he happily (greedily) consumes 6 to 9 ounces in anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes - so why does he take so long to drink from me? And how do I tell for sure that he has emptied my breast and it's time to swap sides?

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Lengthy feeds and still not sure if he's emptying the breast

He can never actually empty a breast - there's always more milk there.

And it's much easier to drink from a bottle, so this won't take as long.

DS tells me when to swap sides by repeatedly pulling off. Burp him, then try again. If he keeps pulling off, it's time to swap sides. If he keeps pulling off that side too, he's had enough.

You shouldn't shorten the sessions yourself - only he knows when he's had enough.

He will start to get quicker soon - by 4 months DS was having 5-10-minute feeding sessions.

Enjoy the cuddle time.

Agree with PP, they tell us when they are done by pulling off, burp him and try again if he didnt take it then switch sides, if he took the other side then fine if he didnt that means he is full and done, in few weeks you will know wheather he is the kind who takes both sides or the kind who is satisfied with one.

And like pp said, they never empty a breast competly, he drinks more from a bottel coz its much easier, when he pulls off the boob by himself that means he is gettin enough hind milk so dont shorten his feeding session let him do it by himself, trust him and trust your body...HTH

My LO was a leisurely nurser at that age, too -- still is sometimes! I remember the first time he "finished" in under 20 minutes -- my husband and I just stood there looking at each other like, "he can't possibly be done already" (we had adjusted our schedules to expect long nursing sessions). Then little man contentedly looked up at me, burped, then rolled over to play. We were shocked.

It may seem like it is taking forever, but they'll let you know when they are finished -- and they will eventually become faster nursers!
    Katherine
    My boys (both hypnobirths!):
    N 12/24/05 - birth center baby; nursed until Dec. 2007
    G 3/21/08 - we had a wonderful homebirth!!! - still nursing

Quote Originally Posted by LAF View Post
    My son is approaching 3 months and his feeding sessions go on for anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour or more from a single breast. Like many people we got off to a rough start with breast feeding but he's now settled into it, latches on well, is gaining weight well, etc., but I still can't get over my fear that if I shorten the sessions that he won't get enough hind milk.
    I can't work out when to switch from one breast to the other as well - at the end of these lengthy sessions I can still get a good spray out of my breast. I express milk and feed him from a bottle for his 10:30am and 10:30pm feedings and he happily (greedily) consumes 6 to 9 ounces in anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes - so why does he take so long to drink from me? And how do I tell for sure that he has emptied my breast and it's time to swap sides?
    Sounds to me as if your little one is going through a growth spurt. Mine also nurses all the time at that age. If your breast is soft after DS has nursed then he is getting the milk that is available. If your breast is not soft, try pumping after feeds. And just remember feeding from the breast is much harder work for a little one than drinking from a bottle. That's why bottle feeds usually goes quickly!!!

Default T H A N K Y O U !!!

Wow! What prompt responses. Thank you so much. Your guidance and advise is very helpful and reassuring. I know he will speed up before I know it and I'll miss these long sessions.