Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: re-birthing

Default re-birthing

In researching techniques to encourage a baby to latch and take the breast I have read about re-birthing a few times. Has anyone every tried this technique or know of someone who has? Just curious...

Default Re: re-birthing

I saw a very scary CSI episode about rebirthing of an older child, though that's all I know about it. I'm sure others will have more to offer.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Do you mean self-attachment? Which is basically to take a bath with baby and allow baby to find the breast and latch without assistance

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVDecJan03p123.html

"Rebirthing" definitely brings up some scary stories of children being suffocated accidentally in a questionable behavior modification attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingPrisms View Post
    I saw a very scary CSI episode about rebirthing of an older child, though that's all I know about it. I'm sure others will have more to offer.
    Same thing I thought of... I don't have much info, except when we had latching problems I started taking baths with DS and having LOTS of skin to skin contact, then about 3-4 days later while in the bath DS just latched on and we've been going good since!

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

My sister mentioned the CSI episode - I never saw that and think it was something different. If you search "re-birthing" on the La Leche website it is mentioned as a technique that could be used for reluctant nursers and describes it.

ok. I did try the re birthing and its basically just taking a relaxing bath with your lo. YOU DO NOT DUNK THE BABY. You get naked with the little bugger shut the lights out maybe light a candle. have your hubby home so he can hand you the baby. re birthing did not work for me it just made us both really sleepy. I had a nasty case of " I like the bottle better" Here is what worked for me.
    1. Kangaroo care and , I found that if she was sleeping she would try and latch even if she refused once she noticed what she was doing. I wore my baby 24/7 my house was a nightmare and I mean stinky. Dishes. dirty bathroom. laundry up the wazoo. I slept next to my baby and snuck the nipple in her a bigillon times.

2. Once you can trick the baby into taking the nipple/latching on is when I did the nursing vacation. I put the bottles away one weekend and I literally slept all day long with the baby for two days. I fed the baby whenever she showed interest and drastically increased my low supply. I got up to tink and eat. that was about it.

3 Wearing my baby. I got a peanut shell and wore the baby everywhere I went.

this lasted for about 4-6 weeks of struggling to get baby latched ans stayed latch. Know that you may take two steps forward and 1 step back sometimes even three. Some days I wanted to quit and found the support I needed here(thanks ladies)I dont think it was one quick fix for me but several things that eventually worked for me. during transition time I would have pumped milk ready in one ounce increments ready so I didnt waste a whole 4 ounces in-case she would take the breast after I satisfied her initial feist hunger. I also found that feeding her before she was ravenous helped a lot. It is beyond frustrating when your baby wont latch but you can get through this and get her back to the breast. it takes time and patience. Also another tid but would be not to let her get to frustrated with your attempts to get her to nurse. Once I noticed the baby starting to get frustrated with my attempts I would giver her ebm and move on to the next time. This is important because you dont want her to have an oral aversion with breast. basically when they look at the darn thing and start to cry. this happened to us and it was not fun. I want to let you know that my lo has not had bottle in probably three months or pretty close. I am exclusively breastfeeding and it is awesome. You can do it. hth

kate
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

Quote Originally Posted by ebina's mom View Post
    My sister mentioned the CSI episode - I never saw that and think it was something different. If you search "re-birthing" on the La Leche website it is mentioned as a technique that could be used for reluctant nursers and describes it.
    So CSI was more this:

Other largely unrelated therapies which are sometimes called Rebirthing also go by the names compression therapy, cuddle time and holding-nurturing process. Rebirthing is considered by such practitioners to be an appropriate strategy for treatment of attachment disorder.
    The term "Rebirthing" drew unfavorable attention in 2001 when several therapists using techniques strongly opposed by most rebirthing-breathwork practitioners, were sentenced to 16 years in prison for suffocating a 10-year-old Colorado girl during a session. Among other techniques, the session involved wrapping the girl in a sheet and having adults sit on her to simulate contractions and motivate the girl to "emerge from the womb".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebirthing-Breathwork

“Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin