Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Q sleeping all night, supply, etc.

Question Q sleeping all night, supply, etc.

HI. I have several questions...My 3 mo. old daughter has been sleeping 8-10 hours at a stretch for a about a week now. I have a major leaking problem at night and go through several hand towels and get engorged. I am worried that my supply will lessen, that she is not getting enough to eat, and that I will get my period back soon (I was hoping it would stay away for a long time). We were co-sleeping but we put her in her crib when she falls asleep at 7ish and then she comes to bed with us and now she keeps sleeping (I keep checking on her all night). I sleep terribly when she is with us (she has to be right up on me and I can't get comfortable). I have always needed more than 8 hours to function. Today she nursed at 6:30 and then again a little later and was still hard asleep at 9 when I woke her up. I know most people would rather this problem but can she sleep too much? She is a cat napper and seems to nurse for only a short time during the day. I don't know if I should be offering both sides to her at a feeding because she seems like she is fairly satisfied after the first. I have OALD and she seems to just swallow constantly. Sorry long post...thanks for any thoughts on these issues. And she seems to have a decent amt of wet diapers.
    -E

Default Re: Q sleeping all night, supply, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by emmah View Post
    HI. I have several questions...My 3 mo. old daughter has been sleeping 8-10 hours at a stretch for a about a week now. I have a major leaking problem at night and go through several hand towels and get engorged. I am worried that my supply will lessen,
    If you exclusivly BF your supply will keep up with and lessen with her demand. Meaning if she needs it it will be there. I would not worry about not having enough.. although I know we all do from time to time You will find as she gets older and your boobs and she becomes more efficent in eating your boobs probably wont feel as full but she'll have enough. If your still having issues with an oversupply at night you might want to post it on the oversupply form. There might be some tips there. They might also be able to answer your question about feeding on both sides, as that may help. Mine started to feed on one side at about 2 or 3 months and is now back to eating on both since about 11 months. But I never had an oversupply issue at night.

that she is not getting enough to eat,
    If she were hungry she would wake up. You said her diapers are fine so I would not worry. Mine started sleeping through at 3 weeks. She woke up again at 3 months when she hit a growth spurt. As long as shes gaining I would let her sleep, so you can too. I found the first few nights I was sore when I woke up but after that I was fine.

and that I will get my period back soon (I was hoping it would stay away for a long time).
    Mine came back at 3 months, when she started to wake to feed more, so I think its a crap shoot as to if you get it back early or not.

As for the co-sleeping thing I can't help there as we don't co-sleep cause like you I could never sleep well with her in the bed I think I was too afraid to move for fear of waking or rolling over on her so I was never comfortable. So she slept in her own bed, which she liked cause I think she though I moved to much also
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

My two have been sleeping 9+ hours for the last 6 days (up from 7) and I know what you are talking about, ouch. I wake them up at 9 hours because that is about all I can take and then they go right back down for about 3 more hours. I think the previous poster is right that you don't need to worry about supply. She is probably taking in bigger meals less often. My pediatrician said this is the age /weight that developmentally they might start sleeping through the night. They are awake more during the day, rolling over, "talking" all day, I don't think they would sleep that long if they needed to wake up for extra feedings.

I use those days to build my stash for work up. But if you are having an OS I am not sure if you want to do that. You may want to hand express enough to relieve to engorgment (like when you wake to go to the bathroom)
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)