Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I am at a loss

Default I am at a loss

My lo got his first teeth FINALLY and he is now working on cutting the upper ones. Hehas been biting me like crazy and my nipples are becoming soo sore. Since he is still young he does not understand a No or a Yes so it is frustrating for me. I tried to unlatch and latch and he does it again. I know you will all hate me for this but for my sanity I would like to wean him off the breast so I need help how to do it the right way for my sake and mostly for my son's. I know this transition should not be drastic but anyone have clues how to go about it? OR PLEASE if there is anyone else who had this problem and continued nursing please offer your advice and most of all your encouragement. TIA
    Mom to Wayne since 02.24.2007
    AND
    Keeran 07.19.2010

My kids are my life!

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them - Desmond Tutu

Default Re: I am at a loss

Teeth happen. And the biting can absolutely be worked through. It is hard emotionally because this is a very intimate relationship and there is a trust thing happening. And obviously no one likes to be hurt physically.
    A couple of things. !st, when you say you try to relatch him, you need to treat him like a new born when doing this. So as soon as the latch gets bad, you are popping him off and shoving as much of your breast in his mouth as possible. That way when the biting happens its to your actual breast and not your nipple. That can make a world of difference.

Also your baby understands much more than you know. And generally things around the breast they are VERY in tuned to. Some common practices around biting are to say OUCH! Loudly and take baby off and put him down for a minute before resuming. And say "Don't Bite Mommy" firmly before resuming. Also, to just completely and abruptly stop and hand him over to someone else and leave the room. And have the other person say "No Biting". Also having a cold washcloth on hand and saying "here bite this."

Because some of the biting is happening as a result of just wanting to experiment with what biting feels like, but part of it is really unintentional grazing due to not knowing yet how to navigate the same way with these new things in their mouth. DJ is 21months old and EVERY new set of teeth brought the latter. We just needed to work and rework his latch every time. With the last set of Molars which came in all four together, it took a month for us to get it right. The needing to experiment with biting really only happened with the 1st two sets. But just in the same way that if you are firm with a newborn and really pop them off immediately every time they get it wrong, they can figure out how to latch right very quickly, the same continues to be true as your child gets older. They instinctively want to get it right.
    So have patience. And know that experiencing anger and frustration is normal. This is a very intimate relationship where you are giving much of yourself and it hurts to be violated physically. Allow yourself to have those feeling and allow you and your child to work through the problem. Good Luck.

Way too lazy for formula

Default Re: I am at a loss

thanks for yr encouragement
    Mom to Wayne since 02.24.2007
    AND
    Keeran 07.19.2010

My kids are my life!

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them - Desmond Tutu