Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What are your LOs drinking?

Default What are your LOs drinking?

In addition to breastmilk (4-6 x a day), he's drinking water, mainly, and occasionally a yogurt fruit smoothie. Is there a good way to avoid cow's milk in the weaning process? Does anyone offer rice or almond milk as alternatives? I'm curious.

Thank you,
    Theresa
    Theresa

Default Re: What are your LOs drinking?

How old is your LO?

My 14 month old doesn't get any cow's milk, but he gets about 3 oz. juice with breakfast, and few ounces of water with snacks and dinner. I read as long as they still nurse 3-4 times a day, no supplmentation of 'milk' is needed. There are a few other mommies on the boards who started their LO's on rice milk so they could pump wean at a year, and continue to nurse when they're together.

Here's a link to it on KellyMom:

There is no need for additional milk or (or the equivalent nutrients from other foods) as long as your baby is nursing 3-4 times per day. Cow's milk is really just a convenient source of calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. - it's not required. There are many people in many parts of the world who do not drink milk and still manage to get all the calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. that they need.
    Nutrition for Nursing Toddlers

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

My son nurses 3-4 times during the day and lots of snacks at night. I give him EBM in a cup with his lunch but since he won't drink EBM from a cup as it is I mix it with some yogurt. He also eats some string cheese or cottage cheese as breakfast.

Olivia pretty much only drinks water and had been drinking EBM at night. On occasion i have given her goat's milk when my pumping output was low. a nutritionist/lc informed me that goat's milk is the closest milk available to breast milk. Olivia liked it. i have just decided to stop pumping at work and just nurse her when we are together. i am considering supplementing her with goat's milk instead of cow's milk (i have a bizarre fear of her being allergic to cow's milk...dd thinks i am crazy, but i am terrified to give it to her. )

My 21 month old drinks only Breast milk and water.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    My 21 month old drinks only Breast milk and water.

While mine's only 16 mo... he gets 10-12 nursing sessions a day (counting those nighttime jaunts ) and water. He'll get an occasionaly splash of juice in his cup... He really likes when I put ice in there though - it's like a dual purpose rattle

Additionally mine's allergic to milk so we don't have to worry about giving that... we tried soy milk - he hated it. Avoided the cup we put it in for 2 days. We tried rice milk, same scenario . SO we're sticking to mama and water for the time being
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    Additionally mine's allergic to milk so we don't have to worry about giving that... SO we're sticking to mama and water for the time being
    Yep - same here! My DS is 14.5 mo and only gets breastmilk or water.

I haven't tried offering him rice or soy milk - because these are NOT acceptable substitutes for breastmilk (or whole cow milk) because they do NOT have the fat content that toddlers need. Since my DS isn't eating ANY dairy products and is also allergic to many of the foods recommended as good sources of fat & calcium, at this point I'm actually working to help make sure that DS does NOT wean any time soon.

My DS is currently nursing about 6-8 times a day and is drinking about 3 oz EBM at preschool.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)