Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about night weaning. . .

Default Question about night weaning. . .

Hi everyone,

Several weeks ago, we began the process of slowly night weaning my now 15 month old DS. I felt the time was right to try for a 5 hour stretch of sleep for everyone involved. He nurses to sleep between 7 & 8. Then I go in and get him out of his crib for one more nursing session before I go to sleep between 9:30 & 11 . (He has just recently transitioned from co-sleeping to mainly sleeping in a crib). Then, if he wakes at anytime before 4:30 or 5, then we do something else to help him get back to sleep.

Sorry for all the background info. My question is this, when do I drop that last night feeding, the 10 p.m. one? It seems that that feeding would be the one he misses the least since he is most often asleep and most usually stays asleep during it. Has anyone else done something similar? How long did you keep that feeding?

Thank you,
    Theresa
    Theresa

Default Re: Question about night weaning. . .

Wow-- how did you go from co-sleeping to crib sleeping? My ds is 19mo and I would love to get him back in his crib. We haven't night weaned yet so I don't have any ideas to share with you....but I am inspired to hear if it can be done!

Default Re: Question about night weaning. . .

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaeee View Post
    Wow-- how did you go from co-sleeping to crib sleeping?
    Very, very slowly. A few months ago, before I even thought of nightweaning, we started putting him down to start the night in his crib, after bedtime routine and nice long nursing session. When / If he cried, we just picked him up and rocked or bounced him until he was relaxed enough to fall asleep. At the first night waking, if I was already in bed, I'd just bring him to bed with us. That went on and on and on with a few nights of, oh my gosh he slept till 4 w/o waking up.

These days, I'll still bring him to our bed on occasion. It's like he wants to be with us, but he can't really get good sleep with us, so after a 1/2 hour of him kicking his leg to go to sleep (which obviously keeps us awake), one of us will bring him back to his bed, where he will often fall asleep. Although the night weaning was met with a few tears, I did not want to use a CIO approach. No magic formula, no hard and fast rules, he just seemed to gradually let us know he could sleep there for longer periods and it's clear that he trusts us to respond when he cries. (He usually wakes up once or twice at night to pee, but that's a different board.)

For the night weaning, I adapted Jay Gordon's method. I felt a 5 hour stretch was a good enough start and we took more than 7 days to complete the process. The night weaning happened during the co-sleeping part of the night.
    Theresa