Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: It never crossed my mind that my breastfeeding would have such family input

Default It never crossed my mind that my breastfeeding would have such family input

I live out of State from the rest of my family and over the past few months I had some family come visit. I am single and don't have to deal with MIL or the whole extended family in my business much. But it seems that it is now a topic of conversation for people as if I am doing something wrong that I need to explain myself??? Today the word that I am still nursing my almost 1.5 year old got to my father and he actually asked me about it. I just responded that my doctor recommends nursing until at least 2 years old. Which I really just pulled out of my ass, but I felt like I needed some backup for some reason. I just question why is our society so weird about something so healthy and how did we get here.. I don't want to have to feel weird about something that is so right. I never expected to be defending my choice to breastfeed my child!

Default Re: It never crossed my mind that my breastfeeding would have such family input

I know how you feel and I dont understand it either. where all in this together hopefully by the time our lo are all grown up breastfeeding will be more normal. We are the generation that needs to change this. Im writing in my lo baby book how about breastfeeding her and some struggles we went through. I want it to be something we can talk about. I want her to know her body is normal and her breasts are designed to feed babies. I want to share that bond with her. I feel like writing this to her is going to be far better than any verbal advice I give her when she grows up. Its frustrating but you are doing what is best for your babes.
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

Default Re: It never crossed my mind that my breastfeeding would have such family input

I know what you mean!! Kudos to you for standing up to those RUDE comments! I breastfed DS1 until he was 2 1/2 y.o. I got plenty of stares, whispers, etc, but oh well! That was a great answer you pulled out of your a$$!! The WHO (World Health Organization) actually recommends nursing for AT LEAST the first 2 years!!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

Hello! It can be difficult when we feel that the people closest to us aren't supportive! Here in the US, nursing past 1 year is unusual for our culture. That, however, does not make it wrong... biologically, babies this age need to continue nursing. The World Health Organization recommends that babies nurse for at least 2 years. And of course La Leche League supports breastfeeding a child until that child is ready to stop on his or her own.

Do you have friends near you who are also nursing their children? Many moms find it helpful to get to know others who are nursing as well. LLL meetings are great for that!