Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: short naps

Default short naps

Is it normal for a 3 month olds growth spurt to involve just little 30 minute naps, instead of the three hour ones she usually takes. She will be three months by the calendar next Saturday but she is three months by number of days now. She is gassy and awake a lot wanting to be held. Is it a growth spurt?

Default Re: short naps

It could very well be a growth spurt. My lo did the same thing around that age and still does at 6 months! Some day she will nap great and others only 20-30 minutes at a time. She will be extra clingy/fussy/gassy somedays too. After 3 kids I am thinking this is all normal.

I guess it is , thanks. need caffeine today. She was gassy from 4:00 am to 7:30.

Hi there sleepy mamas!

I think as a baby gets a little older and becomes more aware of his or her world, naps can become short and/or difficult. They get tired, but they want to see everything! Both of mine were that way. My daughter is just learning to stand up and cruise, so she has what I call "nap strikes" at times too, she is just too excited about what she's doing, to sleep.

Take care! (And get some rest if you can!)

Well, my LO napped great the first few weeks and then naps got really short. She is 9 weeks now and eats about every 1-2 hours for a few minutes, then will nap about 10- 15 minutes before awake again. She's fussy sometimes in between with gas or colicky behaviour, but mostly seems content with her schedule. My other kids napped at least one or two good naps a day though- slept at least 2-4 hours at a time at least once a day.
    This Lo however, has no intention of having a schedule, and eats more often than any others. Sure wish I had at least one nap/ day so I could have a few minutes to myself though...
    So, this behaviour sounds normal, although the gassiness could be something in your diet and she may be napping less b/c her tummy is bothering her. Just a thought. Maybe if you eat a bland diet for a day or two you can tell if that was it if she naps better and is less fussy.
    Hope things gets better- it's no fun to have an unhappy baby who isn't sleeping well
    Hang in there!

My baby slept two and a half hours after I posted this (in her swing). So who knows? She ate three times last night, so I think its got to be a growth spurt. Shes definently becoming more aware of her surroundings. So she does seem more excited about her surroundings.

Baby's sleep cycle last 30-40 minutes. So its normal that they nap only 30 minutes - i.e. 1 cycle. They can also continue after the first cycle without waking up. If a baby can self-soothe, even after waking up after the first cycle, he can put himself back to sleep again and go on for another 30, 60min etc. My baby cant do this, so to get him to nap longer, I have to make sure that he has a full belly when I put him down for his nap. During the first months when he was suffering from colic, he couldnt even sleep for 30mins, normally just 10-15 min.

HTH.

Thamks, Noahs a handsome baby.

Thanks *blush*blush*