Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: is he getting enough???

Question is he getting enough???

my boy is 13 days old so far he sleeps about 4hrs between feedings, he used to feed for 1hr almost straight, now it's for about 40min. he won't empty my breasts so i have to pump milk, i use it for midnight feedings. he's grown more than expected and poops 2 or 3 times per day and pees every time he wakes up. is he getting enough milk? i'm scared my milk production will stop, or he's not getting enough because i pump whats left.

Default Re: is he getting enough???

You baby sounds completely fine. You want 6-8 wet diapers per day and poopies can vary a lot but what you have sounds good. Good weight gain means he's getting enough.

Expect the nursing sessions to shorten. My son started eating only 5 minutes per session at 3 weeks- which is extreme of course but just shows you what can happen.

If you let your baby nurse as often as he wants, you can trust your body to make exactly what he needs and shouldn't need to pump... you can pump if you want to store milk or whatever other reason you may have.

Why do you say your baby isn't emptying the breast anymore? Sometimes they eat more and sometimes they may not be as hungry. And the long sleep could be his way of reacting to a growth spurt and that could change again... they are nothing if not unpredictable!!!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

Hello there! Congratulations on the birth of your baby!

One way to be sure your baby is getting enough milk is to count diapers. A 13 day old baby should have 5-6 wet disposables (6-8 wet cloth) diapers in a 24 hour period, plus at least 2-5 poops, no smaller than a US quarter. Visibly outgrowing clothing and feeling heavier are good signs too!

If he is having as many wet/poopy diapers as I described, he's getting plenty of milk. If he isn't, I would recommend not letting him sleep longer than 1 four hour stretch in 24 hours, just until his output is enough and until your milk supply is well established. Frequent nursing in the early weeks (as often as he wants, for as long as he wants) will establish your milk supply for the rest of the time he is nursing.

You mentioned being concerned because after a feeding you can pump milk. When you've just had a baby, often you will actually make more milk than your baby needs. It's nature's way of making sure your baby will have enough. Also, your breasts are never completely empty. There will always be some milk in them, even at the end of a feeding, and even after you have pumped. So, it isn't anything bad to still be able to get milk out after you've pumped.

I hope that helps... do you have any other concerns right now?

I agree with the previous posters. Sounds OK, but also at that age, baby needs to go no longer than 4 hours at night between feedings, and in the daytime should be nursing every 2-3 hours. That is so you can get enough nursing sessions in to keep your milk supply up. Lactation consultants recommend at least 8 and up to 12+ nursing sessions in a day to keep your supply up.
    If you only BF baby every four hours in the daytime you may no be stimulating your breasts enough. Of course, some moms have no problems with less nursing sessions, but my supply dropped a lot after 6-8 weeks when I nursed my first baby every 4 hours. Plus, I didn't nurse at night after 3 weeks old b/c he slept so well. I lost my milk supply totally over 16 weeks time, but didn't know much about BF.
    Diaper counts are truly the best way to be sure baby is getting enough. So 6-8 wet and 3-4 poopy are good. Some babies poop a little more or less, but you have to have 6-8 wet every 24 hours, and the pee needs to be light colored, not dark yellow.
    You are doing a great job and this is a great place for support! Welcome!

thank you so much for your help and support. I counted poopy and wet diapers, he's ok. He does suffer from gas, but i feel more confident now, and when i can't cope with the crying i have aunts and a grandmother who can help. He's also staying up longer during the day and sleeping almost 6hrs at night, he's growing up so fast i can't believe he'll be 3 weeks old this sunday.

thanks again to all who helped.

Hi! I'm very new to this myself, but I'm sort of going through similar issues. My daughter is 15 days old. When I tried to feed her every 2 hours, it would just make us both frustrated because she did not want to eat that frequently (and she was very sleepy, so waking her was quite a process). She is having more than enough wet and poopy diapers and gaining weight great. I started just going to every three hours because she showed all the signs of getting enough milk. Since then she's woke up a lot more and feedings have been going much better. She still has great output and weight gain. I'm actually going to more of a demand schedule now that she's more awake (and surpassed her birth weight), and it's made life a lot happier for everyone in my house now that we are more relaxed. I really think the baby can sense your frustration! Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I thought my baby should feed a certain way, too, and that just turned out to be unrealistic for me. All babies are different, and while you certainly want to make sure he's eating enough, he might not fit into some predetermined category. My daughter also loves to "cluster feed." I am finding it much easier and enjoyable to react to her cues. Also, she doesn't like to eat when she is gassy, so I just offer her the breast every 5 minutes or so, and when she passes her gas, she eats.

So, I'm about as new as you in this, but you are not alone in feeling frustrated or worried about your LO. Don't give up! In The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding I read "Breastfeeding is only 10% skill and 90% positive thinking." I think that's so true. Hang in there!