Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: medela pump makes airy noise

Default medela pump makes airy noise

I am not sure if this is normal.

I have the medela pump in style and where the tubes attach to the machine makes a loud airy sound. I am always checking to make sure that the tubes are all the way in bec it sounds like too much air is escaping and wondering if this is affecting my pumping.

Is it normal to be making such loud airy sounds coming from the machine where the tubes connect??

Default Re: medela pump makes airy noise

That happened with my ameda purely yours - took me a while to discover a tiny hole in the tubing leading to the pump.Once that was replaced, I noticed a huge difference in the effectiveness of the pump -suction was way better at a lower setting. Just something to check out. Don't think it's normal to have the airy sound

Talked to a mom using a Medela PIS this week who said the part you plug up to only pump on one side was not working ocrrectly and made an airy sound. Were you double or single pumping?
    Otherwise, if you are double pumping then I think it would be in the tubing somewhere or right where tubing attaches.
    See if you can set it up to single pump one side and isolate if it's coming from one side or the other.

I have the PSIA but don't typically hear any loud airy sound... I hear the Medela customer service reps. are good and can help trouble shoot (although I have not had any issue where I've needed to call them yet).

Here is their contact info. as listed on their website.

Medela Customer Service representitives are available Monday-Friday 7:30 am - 8:00 pm CST and Saturday 8:00 am - 12:00 pm at 1-800-435-8316.

Please let us know what you find out.

I have had that happen and found that the membrane wasn't attached all the way - HTH. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by mama2emNbz View Post
    I have had that happen and found that the membrane wasn't attached all the way - HTH. Good luck!

Me too! This just happened to me tonight.

thank you. I'll look into all your suggestions. I wonder if that will help with my pump supply as well. I hope so!

I have a PISA and an older PIS that I use at home. I have this same problem. So, I just asked DH to look at it while I'm pumping (despite his flaws, he's an engineer and can fix anything). Anyway, my leak was at the dial to adjust the pump pressure setting. He figited with it and now it doesn't make that airy sound - this was a lot cheaper than buying new tubes, so it could be a good place to start, esp. if you have an older PIS like this one.

amy

I am having that same airy sound problem and it's driving me crazy and I am not getting much milk. I will try some of these suggestions tonight. Also, I was wondering, I have used a hospital grade pump in the past, will I be able to get that same kind of sucking out of the PIS?