Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: re-refrigerate warmed up breastmilk

Default re-refrigerate warmed up breastmilk

I took out a bottle of refrigerated breastmilk only pumped 24 hours ago. put it in a bottle warmer to make it room temperature.

And then my lo didnt want it. She never even put her mouth to it, so the issue of poss bacteria is not an issue. She took to the breast instead (hasnt done that in about 1 1/2 months..ive been pumping and giving the bm only..long story..different post! HA)

So anyway..my question.. my supply is low and I dont want to waste a drop. Is it ok to put the now-room-temperature bm BACK into the refrigerator?
    Last edited by jlk51496; October 5th, 2007 at 09:35 PM. Reason: added info

Default Re: re-refrigerate warmed up breastmilk

This resource should answer your questions:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/r...essedmilk.html

so i guess not..because I warmed it up once..right? Am I reading that correctly?

I've put it back in the refrigerator, even after she's had some out of it. There is no REAL research on it, and I say as long as you use it within a couple of hours after the heat up-cool down, then it's fine. I wouldn't use it the next day or freeze it though.

thank you. I think that sounds good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jlk51496 View Post
    I took out a bottle of refrigerated breastmilk only pumped 24 hours ago. put it in a bottle warmer to make it room temperature.

And then my lo didnt want it. She never even put her mouth to it, so the issue of poss bacteria is not an issue. She took to the breast instead (hasnt done that in about 1 1/2 months..ive been pumping and giving the bm only..long story..different post! HA)

So anyway..my question.. my supply is low and I dont want to waste a drop. Is it ok to put the now-room-temperature bm BACK into the refrigerator?
    You should never re-freeze breast milk once unfrozen. It can make your baby very sick! And remember bm only stays drinkable at room temperature for three hours after that you can pour it down the drain.
    Last edited by maritzape; October 8th, 2007 at 01:33 AM.