Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2nd Baby Harder To Nurse!!

Question 2nd Baby Harder To Nurse!!

My baby girl is 8 days old. Ive been struggling with sore nipples. It was agony the last 4 or 5 days. Ive tried to make sure latch on was right, this didnt happen with my firstborn who is now 5 and i breastfed till he was 2 without probs beside engorgement.

They scabbed and got red and irritated now they seem to be healing. (I hope) The left side seems more tender then the right and we struggle with latch more on the left usually. Ive tried positioning different ways and stopped greasing my entire nipple and areola with lanolin after reading it could be causing her mouth to slip down. Maybe that was it?

Anyone have suggestions for a baffled second timer?

Default Re: 2nd Baby Harder To Nurse!!

I don't have any great words of wisdom, but I can sympathize! This happened with my 2nd DC, too. DS was a breastfeeding champ. With DD, it took a little longer to get things right. My nipples got torn apart and it was agony! My LC recommended using a nipple shield for 24 hours to let my nipples heal and to help DD learn to latch on with a wider mouth. It worked like a charm! Maybe this will help you???

Ouch! Nipple pain is worse than labor, I think. I'm sorry you're dealing with this.

If you're already seeing improvement, then I suspect the worst is behind you and whatever was causing the latch problems is on the mend. Some babies take to nursing like experienced pros, and some have a steep learning curve.

For the lanolin -- after you nurse, express a little breastmilk and rub it into your nipples, then let them air dry (walk around topless!), and THEN apply the lanolin. If you rub a dab between your fingers for a minute, it really softens up, so that little goes a long way, and in my experience it was pretty well absorbed by the time we nursed again.

After nursing, when the nipple comes out of your baby's mouth, what does it look like? Is it shaped funny like she's been pinching it somehow?

If your nipple pain persists, have her checked for tongue-tie. Even a mild case can really interfere with nursing, and it's quick and easy to fix in most cases.

--Rebecca

How was your delivery with your second child? How did it differ from your first? If you were heavily medicated or given an epidural, some babies need a long time to shake off the effects. My son was extremely sleepy for two weeks and had an awful latch on because of drugs I was given in the hospital. He may just need more time. In the meantime, I would suggest pumping in between feedings to keep your supply up until whatever problem you're having is resolved. Good luck!

It looks elongated not funny shaped. Whats toungue tie?

Also thanks, its nice to hear someone else had more probs with a second baby also. Not that id wish problems on anyone! I thought I was such a pro lol.

Right now its really pink (irritated) nipples. slightly scabbed this time, not as bad as first scabbing, that HUUURT when she latches but only a few seconds. Ive been going braless and semi shirtless when im able.

Also this labor was 4 hours last hour I got an epidural. So no heavy meds. She nursed right away with a healthy suck.

I remember nursing being almost pleasant so this has me baffled but I wont give up.
    Last edited by victoria81; June 1st, 2006 at 11:30 AM.

Tongue-tie -- the membrane connecting the tongue to the bottom of the mouth may be so short that a baby can't extend her tongue very far. The tongue needs to be pretty far forward to get a good latch and suck; otherwise, the baby is basically chewing with both gums instead of milking the breast.

Get her latched on and nursing well, and then have a helper check that both her lips are flanged out, not tucked in. Then have your helper gently check to see if her tongue is visible between her lower lip and your breast. If it's not, then call around until you find a LLL Leader or an IBCLC-credentialed lactation consultant who knows what tongue-tie actually looks like. It's often hard to find a pediatrician or other doctor who is experienced with diagnosing and treating tongue-tie, and if it is missed in infancy, it can not only mess up breastfeeding but cause speech problems later on.

Having said all this ... if your pain at latch goes away completely after a few seconds -- even if those first seconds are pretty toe-curling -- then chances are you and baby are on the road to recovery. Stay on top of the nipple trauma and be vigilant about doing what it takes to get them to heal up completely. If you don't see daily improvement, or if the damage begins to get worse again, don't delay in getting hands-on help from a LLLL or IBCLC.

--Rebecca