Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tea causing colic?? Help!

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Tea causing colic?? Help!

My 14 week old LO has never been a real crier. In fact, when she's hungry or tired she does a sort of whiny cry but never really screams. But this week she has really started screaming loudly, always in the late afternoons. I had started taking Mother's Milk Tea again this week (I had stopped taking it when she was 8 weeks). I read somewhere that fenugreek, which is in the tea, can cause colicky behavior. Has anyone else experienced this??

Also, things that never used to bug here now make her wail. All my husband had to do to her today was talk to her and she got really upset. She's tired a lot too. Growth spurt? Does that happen at 14 weeks?

She got a shot at the beginning of the week. Could it be the cause?

I'm not quite at the end of my rope but it's fast-approaching. Guidance much needed and appreciated.

Default Re: Tea causing colic?? Help!

Hi, Sorry your having such a rough time. I seem to go through this every month with my lo. She is just turning 6 months. I take mothers milk tea also and havent noticed anything too different. My baby does the crying/screaming things also. I think its more like teething,growth spurt etc.. All the fun things that comes with growing and teething. You could try stopping the tea for a bit and see if it gets better. Could she be teething? She is going into 4 months and that is a big growth spurt time atleast for my girl it was. She could be happy one sec then mad the next etc.. I wish I had better advice. I hope it gets better!

That's good to know - thanks! I guess it must be a growth spurt. She's never been this up and down. She can be laughing at a silly face you've made one second and then yelling and screaming the next. She's also started imitating the sounds we make at her. If we say goo, she says it back. If we say bah or gah, she makes a similar sound. I know I sound crazy but others have noticed it too. I think she's making a huge developmental leap and is over-stimulated a lot. In fact in addition to cutting out the tea, my husband and I are going to stop the imitation game just in case it's too much for her. She's young and doesn't need to be pressured into make speech sounds so early.

Thanks again. It's really helpful to know that this is not unusual behavior.

You might like to try fennel tea instead.
    Fennel is said to have milk boosting properties but also to be very calming on the digestive tract. I tried it when my son was going through a very colicky phase and it did seem to make a difference.
    Hope she settles soon.

Great idea. I will check it out. Thanks!

I was using the Mothers milk tincture and dd got very colicky behavior. I stopped it and she returned to normal, except for the occasional outburst. SOme babies experience strong gasto issues with the herbs.

My little one had wicked #2's in the diaper when I was on Fenugreek. So it could be the tea. As for the fussiness it could be a growthspurt or a case of mommieitis. I know my little one would scream at daddy cause he wanted the one with the boob Hopefully it will pass.
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

Thanks everyone. It's a shame that fenugreek affects some people this way because it's really so effective. My supply is not that great and I was really liking the tea but it sounds like it really does play with some LOs' insides...