Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Safe to use Airborne Effervescent Health Formula/Tablets when breastfeeding?

Default Safe to use Airborne Effervescent Health Formula/Tablets when breastfeeding?

Does anyone know if it is safe to use Airborne Effervescent Health Formula/Tablets when breastfeeding?

Default Re: Safe to use Airborne Effervescent Health Formula/Tablets when breastfeeding?

"Probably" but can you go ahead and list the ingredients..
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Default Re: Safe to use Airborne Effervescent Health Formula/Tablets when breastfeeding?

I have not bought them yet, but at Walgreens, it says this: (check out link)
    http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...0&id=prod19502

well this is what I found on Dr Hales site here - seems the Vit A is a concern... :

I'm an LLL Leader and have gotten several calls about Airborne. My biggest concern with this product is the amount of Vitamin A it contains. Each tablet contains 5,000 I.U.s (in the form of Palmitate). The directions say to take one tablet every three hours. This could easily lead to someone taking 5 tablets in a waking day and getting 25,000 I.U.s.

Dr. Hale,

You mention in your book that Vitamin A overdose is extremely dangerous and no one should take more than 5,000 units unless under the direct supervision of a physician. Wouldn't this be dangerous for ANYONE, not just nursing and pregnant women?

And isn't too much Vitamin A linked to birth defects?

Am I correct that this seems unsafe?

Tom Hale Ph.D.
    Username: Tom

Post Number: 1553
    Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 03:44 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dianne:

Unfortunately, we do not have a lot of data on the transfer of vitamin A into human milk, although we have numerous papers noting that human milk generally contains 1-2 IU/cc. A dose of 5000 units per day is the maximum recommended for adults, other than for the treatment of various syndromes. A dose of 25,000 units per days would simply be too much for other than therapeutic purposes.

You are correct, doses as high as 25,000 IU/day have been noted to increase the risk of fetal defects.

Moderation with Vitamin A is really important, most importantly when you are pregnant and breastfeeding.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

also found this - he doesnt seem to be a huge fan of it's efficacy.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I asked my local pharmacist about Airborne and he suggested that I do not use it. There are many herbs and minerals in it that have not yet been studied in its affect on infants. Instead he said all I need to keep my immune system up and strong is a Vitamin C tablet taken with Zinc once a day. Neither of these are harmful to your infant but will help boost your immune system.