Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sucking with teeth...

Default sucking with teeth...

My baby is 11 months old. I would like to continue nursing him until he is about 15-16 months old. However, he recently (about a month ago) got his top teeth in and since then, it has been very painful to nurse. He is not biting me, just sucking with his teeth. When he pulls off, there are teeth marks around my nipple. Before, I just dealt with it. It was a little uncomfortable, but bearable. Now though, one of my nipples is cracked, making it just as painful to nurse him on that side as it was to nurse in the first weeks after birth. I am having to use my Lansinoh cream again, and I dread having to put him on that side.
    I have tried putting my finger in his mouth and pushing down (or up) on his teeth to move them away from my nipple. He just looks at me strangely, then goes back to nursing the way he was before. Sometimes it helps for a minute or two, but then he's back to sucking with his teeth again. I don't know what to do, aside from weaning him, which I will only do if my nipples continue to worsen and I can't find any other solution. I've considered pumping on that side until my nipple heals, but he doesn't take a bottle for me very well, and he may just make it worse again as soon as I put him back on that breast. Plus, I'm afraid he may cut/crack the other nipple at some point too.
    Do you have any suggestions? All my friends I've talked to never had this problem with their babies.

Default Re: sucking with teeth...

I had that problem with the top teeth too. Have you tried changing the angle of lo's head? I never messed with her mouth, just with the position she was in. It took me several weeks to figure it out, but she is mostly cured now.

Here's some info on dealing with teeth. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-bab....html#scraping I have found that supportive positioning and making sure DS has a good, deep latch have helped me. I often have to take him off and remind him to open wide. I have also found that his teeth bother me MUCH more for about a week around the time I'm ovulating.

You mentioned that there are teeth marks all the way around. Is that just on the top or the bottom, too? Marks on the top are possible with proper nursing, but ones on the bottom would indicate that your lo isn't using his tongue to suck, just using more of a chomping motion to get the milk out. That might take more work to fix.

Thanks for the tips. By forcing a deeper latch and lansinoh cream, my sore nipple has healed, and though I can still feel his teeth, they don't really bother me much any more. It may also have to do with the fact that he is no longer teething, for the moment, and is getting more used to his teeth.