Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: baby's lip - chapped or blister?

Default baby's lip - chapped or blister?

hi -
    i have a 10 day old son - and we have had no problems w/ breastfeeding. since my milk came in, he has been nursing great and has around 3-5 soiled diapers daily and 6 wet diapers. we went in after 1 week to the pediatrician's and he was above his birth weight- so his pediatrician was really happy.

so my question is, i feel comfortable breastfeeding, i have NO pain at all, he seems to be nursing well (in terms of weight gain and diapers) -- but i just noticed his upper lip is kind of chapped-ish?? i can't tell if it's a blister or just chapped.

i turned on a humidifier in the house in case that was it - but i wanted to know if this is common....do babies get chapped lips from nursing?

my nipples are NOT sore- but i wanted to know if it's too dry in my house perhaps?...or does he have a bad position/latch which is causing this chapped lips thing? it's not too bad - but enough where my husband noticed it and said - wow, he has chapped lips.

should i put lansinoh on my nipple or areola so he kind of gets it more moisturized?

Default Re: baby's lip - chapped or blister?

Is it right in the middle of that little top lip? If so - it's most likely just a "normal" type chapping...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

yes, right in the middle. it's whiteish and when i touch it, it feels just like that- chapped lips.

Hi

I'd put the Lanolin directly on the lip I did when my little one had chapped lips .. works wonders. And it is safe to ingest.
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

That's normal, I think it is just a callus they get when they start breastfeeding. My lo got it, too. It went away after a week or two.

Glad to hear you are doing well with the breastfeeding!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

yup, completely normal. my son would get that little blister every few weeks. I think of it like a callus that you get when you are constantly rubbing your hand on something. I guess all that sucking does that to babies lips too!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Ditto to PP, my little one gets this too. It peels off eventually. My pedi suggested putting a dab of vaseline to help keep it mosturized. Good job on the nursing!

It's called a nursing callous. Very normal. DS had one until he was 3-5 wks old (can't really remember).

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

It's a "nursing callous" or "sucking blister." They are totally normal for young breastfed babies! You can use the same stuff the hospital gives you to soothe your nipples on it, but I never did, and it never bothered her. For us it peeled off and came back several times before it went away.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    It's a "nursing callous" or "sucking blister." They are totally normal for young breastfed babies! You can use the same stuff the hospital gives you to soothe your nipples on it, but I never did, and it never bothered her. For us it peeled off and came back several times before it went away.
    Yup, a sucking blister and they are totally harmless and will go away on their own..No worries!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07