Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hospital Grade Pumps

Default Hospital Grade Pumps

Hello. I am 5 months pregnant with my second child. When I had my son back in 2002, I realized that I preferred the hospital pump I used to the $200Mdela I bought. This time around, I decided to rent a hospital grade pump but am confused.

I've read that Medela's Symphony is excellent. I live in Miami, FL and the medical supply stores have the symphony so it shall be no problem to rent. The thing is that when I was viewing the hospital grade pumps on the web, the one that looked like the one I used in the hospital back in 2002 was an "SMB Electric Breast Pump." When I called the supply companies, no one knew what that was. Is there another name for this pump? One lactation consultant told me that this was an old Ameda. Several other LCs didn't have a clue.

Can anyone please give me more info about the SMB? Also, which is better? The SMB or the Symphony? Thanks for helping this confused mom.

Default Re: Hospital Grade Pumps

The SMB model is an old Ameda model. It was the one I used and I loved it. I swear the thing is 30 years old, but really gets the job done. If you can get your hands on a hospital pump, you won't be sorry. I don't know how much monthly rental charges are where you are, but you might consider trying to get a hospital grade pump on ebay. Search for "Ameda Egnell" and you'll likely find the old supercharged hospital pump that you used before. I have seen them sell for between $150 and $300. Then, when you're done with it, you can resell it on ebay for the same price (or more) that you paid for it.

Default Re: Hospital Grade Pumps

Thank you for your quick response. I looked up the egnell on e-bay, but it didn't look like the one I used in the hospital. I'm definitely going to rent, though.

I'm going to keep researching this. I'd love to hear from other forum members. Which one did you use? Did you like it?

Thanks for all your help!