Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: we have a little problem with biting

Default we have a little problem with biting

My ds is just over 12 months now and we are down to one feeding at bedtime for the last 3 weeks, now the problem we are having is biting. When he gets tired he bites me. Sometimes it isn't that bad and sometimes it is hard enough to bruise. If I say "No biting" its like it breaks his heart. At nap time he wants to nibble on me until he goes to sleep . Fortunately he has only bit me while nursing twice...he does not like the consequence of me not letting him continue nursing. My mother and grandmother say its just a phase and just be firm about no biting, however my sister-in-law, who has 3 kids, say to bite him back . I just can't do that, but I don't like having little bruises from my shoulders to my elbows!!

Is this a rebellion thing about no longer nursing? We have never battled about it. He just quit nursing during the day and then a few weeks later started biting me.

Any suggestions on getting him to stop biting.
    Proud Mama to Caleb
    Born on my Birthday Sept. 19, 2006
    6 lbs 15 oz

Proud Mama to Evie
    Born 9/25/12 4 weeks early
    5lbs 6oz

Default Re: we have a little problem with biting

My son did that - what I'd do was every time he'd bite, I'll pull him off, tell him no in a stern voice and get him a bottle of cows milk. I'd refuse to let him latch back on (if he was really upset, I'd usually cave). But most of the time, he took the bottle. After a couple of days of consistently doing it, telling him that if he's going to bite, no nursing, he mostly got the message. He rarely, if ever, bites now.
    Melissa
    Mom to Jessica (2/7/03) breastfed for 8 months
    Sam (7/6/06) breastfed for three years, five months, two weeks and three days (not that I was counting or anything :-)
    Julianna (4/29/10) struggled thru nursing strike, nipple confusion, thrush, multiple cracks and fissures, a staph infection and then another bout of thrush, but happily nursing away
    www.cohenfamily-melissa.blogspot.com

Default Re: we have a little problem with biting

My son tends to bite more when he's teething. Hope he gets the message.
    Theresa