Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What's this mean?

Default What's this mean?

When he signs to nurse, I get him ready and "in postition" and then he latches, lets go and giggles. So I put him down and he gets mad, signs to nurse and we go through this over and again. If I dont pick him up and go through with the whole scenario, he gets frustrated, as if I pulled him off while he was actually nursing!?!?!??! I'ts not a game be cause he's serious when he signs to nurse but it's like he gets on there and just decides, "nah, never mind". I am thinking it's the start of weaning himself but I am not sure as I've never gone this long before... I didn't think he'd ever wean.

Anyone had their LO do this in preparation for weaning. FTR he's 16 mo old (tomorrow )

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Default Re: What's this mean?

We never did the signing thing, and we haven't weaned, but sometimes my DD would ask to nurse and then latch on for a second and be super distractable/not "really" nurse. Then she'd get mad when I started to "put it away."
    I eventually told her that if she was not going to nurse nicely, she would have to wait until later. I'd give her a second chance but if she did the same thing twice I would then tell her no after that. I guess it sounds mean when I type it out but to me it felt like a fair and acceptable limit.
    So, I can't answer your question whether this shows he is ready for weaning, but if you don't like this pattern my suggestion might help. It also may be a sign that he's ready to cut back on nursing some.
    Another tactic would just be to oblige him and see if he gets over it soon enough on his own.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Default Re: What's this mean?

Thanks molly I figured the other day, SHoot, If I swould have sat here for 5 minutes nursing him, I might as well sit for 5 minutes firguring out if he's ever gonna nurse. And 9 out of 10 times he won't nurse. I know not all babes sign, but they all have thei r way of letting mama know its that time so I just wondered. If it continues I'll probably have to just say no... I mean it's not like I'm telling him he can't nurse... just no up and down games. And I considered it being distracted for a day or so but I ralized he just wanted to talk to me so we talk but then when he seemed done is when I'd pu him down then he got mad so I am THINKING that maybe he thinks nurse means to be with mama... th boob part is incidental
    we'll see... thanks
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.