Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: can you buy vitamin d drops to give your baby?

Default can you buy vitamin d drops to give your baby?

can you buy vitamin d drops to give your baby? (my baby does not spend much time outside at all, it has been too warm.) if so, where? (and what are they called? brand names, etc.)

thanks!

Default Re: can you buy vitamin d drops to give your baby?

Most grocery stores or pharmacies carry the Enfalac Vi-Sol, that have vitamin D and several other combination kinds. Pretty much anywhere that carries regular adult vitamins will have these

DD1-Nursed 12/06-9/08
    DD2-Nursed 12/08 - 10/10

DS - Successful VBA2C May 5/11 and

Quote Originally Posted by deliamom View Post
    Most grocery stores or pharmacies carry the Enfalac Vi-Sol, that have vitamin D and several other combination kinds. Pretty much anywhere that carries regular adult vitamins will have these
    Just be careful about giving your baby combo vitamins, especially the ones with iron. I think in Canada you can get the Vit. D by itself, but not so in the U.S. for g-d knows what reason. Perhaps you can order it online (I know there is one called D-vi-sol made by enfamil I believe), I am almost positive you do not need a prescription for it.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

strange you can't get the vit D alone is US-I defintely wouldn't want to give any unecessary others and only use the vit D due to being in such a northerly climate and skipped lots of time during summer months when dd was getting some limted indirect sunlight

DD1-Nursed 12/06-9/08
    DD2-Nursed 12/08 - 10/10

DS - Successful VBA2C May 5/11 and

yes i would really prefer to give vitamin d alone, or one with just vit d and vit c (am not concerned about a little xtra vit c). but i am not thrilled with all the multivitamin combos available, which seems to be about the only ones i can find around here?!?

http://www.sunlightvitamins.com/About_Just_D.php

This website has just D vitamin drops but I don't know if they are safe or whatnot, I have not tried them.

This is what I use, it is the enfamil vitamin D only. I can't believe that you can only get it in the US? maybe ask the pharmasist? They might have something equivalant.

http://www.enfamil.ca/en/products/vitamins_1.html
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

Our dd gets D-Vi-Sol. We buy it at walmart. We give her the Enfamil brand but there is the generic brand also at walmart. Her pediatrician recommended this.

is everyone giving d-vi-sol living in canada? has anyone found it in the states?

Quote Originally Posted by desperate View Post
    http://www.sunlightvitamins.com/About_Just_D.php

This website has just D vitamin drops but I don't know if they are safe or whatnot, I have not tried them.
    I would consider these.

The situation with the unavailability of d-vi-sol in the US is just plan weird. The only reason I can fathom is that the Canadian government has specific recommendations for Vit. D supplementation so the product is basically necessary. But why not in the US? So strange.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on