Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frequency of Feeding for 10 day old baby

Default Frequency of Feeding for 10 day old baby

Hi, My daughter is 10 days old, and we've had a lot of challenges with breastfeeding so far, but I've been super determined and things are going better. One thing I'm still concerned about, however, is the frequency with which my baby wants to eat. I had been advised to feed her every 1.5-2 hours. This would occasionally work, but more often then not resulted in an hour of frustration for both me and her before she would latch on and eat. My baby has been very sleepy since coming home from the hospital. The past few days have been better. Each time she eats, she has an alert period where her eyes are open and she is much more interested in what's going on around her. So, after our feeding pattern was getting into one where she was eating approx every three hours anyway, i have gone to just waking her to eat every three hours (she eats 8 times a day -- I don't let her go longer periods at night if she has gone longer periods in the day without nursing). Now she wakes up easily and is much less fussy. This has made nursing much more enjoyable for both of us. Still I am concerned because I am not feeding her the recommended every 2 hours. She is having plenty of poopy diapers and wet diapers. She basically poops every time she eats and has a wet diaper nearly every time I check her. Also, I have a good baby scale which shows she is gaining a little more than an ounce a day. She is already a little above her birth weight at 10 days.

Has anybody had similar problems with feeding on this two hour schedule? I am a little concerned with keeping up my milk supply. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can squeeze in an extra feeding or two a day?

Thank you for your help!!

Default Re: Frequency of Feeding for 10 day old baby

She sounds like she is doing very well! It's the main goal to get them back to birth weight by 2 weeks and you have exceeded that. Her weight gain sounds wonderful as does her diaper output. Most experts recommend feedings at this age every 1-3 hours, and anything in that range is normal - 8-12 feedings per day. I think you sound like you got a great, lower maintenance baby. Coming from someone whose lo nursed nonstop at that age, I think you've got a good thing. Keep up the good work, momma!

Amy

Thank you so much for your encouraging words!

and congrats on the new baby! Sounds like you are doing great! As long as baby is gaining weight and has plenty of diapers, you are doing a great job! Enjoy your new lo!

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

Hook 'em Horns!! Are you in Austin?

Amy

Quote Originally Posted by amyped View Post
    Hook 'em Horns!! Are you in Austin?

Amy
    Dallas, but close.

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

Well, I definitely dig your dd's attire