Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP! My pump is not working.

Default HELP! My pump is not working.

I went to pump this morning before I leave for work and my pump is not suctioning well at all. There is no way it will even pump out any milk. I have a Medela PIS. I am so upset and have no idea what I am going to do today. I have an 11 hour work day. Not only will I be completely engorged but I am really worried about my supply. My DH is looking up medela trouble shooting right now but I have a feeling my pump is broken and there may not be much we can do for right now.

What am I supposed to do all day at work?? I am so upset about this . I have only been back for a week and a half so I don't feel comfortable calling in. I have to leave for work in 20 minutes.

Default Re: HELP! My pump is not working.

check the hoses to make sure that tehy are connected properly. I also check the membranes and make sure they are laying flat. If all else fails you may have to hand express at work, at least to relieve the pressure and keep yopur supply going....
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Do you have any extra membranes(the little white disks)? My Pisa did that the other day at work and I was in tears. I read that if you lose suction replace the membranes and it worked like a charm. Hopefully It will work for you

Formerly known as Huntersmomma
    Momma to 3 yr old Hunter proudly breast fed until 2 & 1/2
    Expecting baby #2, Due in Jan 2011

I have a PIS and I once after cleaning it forgot to put the membranes on and I cried for an hour before realizing what I did. (I exclusively pump b/c my dd is tube fed) so I really needed to pump. My husband was so concerned for me that he went out and bought a PISA, so now I have both (one for work PIS and PISA for home, since I am home more then I work.

Just check and make sure all the parts are there and the pump is put together correctly.

I had a similar isue. The rubber cover of the vacuum knob sometimes becomes loose over the knob itself. When you think you are turning the vacuum higher, nothing happened. I had to squeeze the vacuum knob when I turned & ended up turning it 360 degrees to get it back on track. Another issue I had was that the plug adapter that plugs into the face plate would not be "clicked in" like it should.

Both issues were easy to fix but I just had to play with it. HTH

I have a PIS and I once after cleaning it forgot to put the membranes on and I cried for an hour before realizing what I did.
    I had to laugh at this, ONLY because it's SO NICE to know that I'm not the only one who would do this! Thank you for your honesty!!! What an encouragement!

once or twice, I've completely forgotten to even attach the valves to the connectors and when I wasn't getting a letdown I freaked... until I realized what I'd done. If your pump isn't working, you might be able to rent a pump from a hospital until you can get yours repaired/replaced. The hospital grade ones are great, too!
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong