Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am I too idealistic?

Default Am I too idealistic?

Hi there..

I am an 'advocate' (so called) for breastfeeding..

I went for pre-natal classes that emphasized the importance of breastfeeding (exclusive for first 6 months etc etc) and am very gung-ho about it all..

I go by the believe that if one has faith that one can do it - there will be no problem. And the key is to load oneself with reliable information on BF and surely, BF will be a success.

Of course, I have had my share of oversupply, OALD, baby refusing the breast, mastitis, la la la... but I persevered...

But.. I have been told, some people just can't produce milk.

I always thought that it's just a mother's natural reaction when she has a baby, to produce milk for her baby.

So, am I being too idealistic?
    If I am, I will tone down ...

Default Re: Am I too idealistic?

Being totally unable to produce any milk is extremely rare really, and most mother's issues with low supply are correctable if caught soon enough and with the right solution. However, there are some moms who just really can't make enough milk for their baby. Maybe hormonal problems, previous surgery on their breasts, etc. Sometimes the cause is unknown. But this is the exception, not the norm.

If I remember correctly the percentage of moms who really can't produce enough milk is less than 5%, but also keep in mind that some people have been sexually abused or have other emotional scars that hinder successful bfing. I had never even thought about that issue until some of the ladies around here brought it up a while ago. But it's definitely something to consider before going all judgmental on a ff mom-you can never really know her reasons, kwim?
    I know what you mean, though, I was just discussing this with my DH the other night. In my heart of hearts, I wonder how a mother be so out of touch with her natural insticts as to bind her breast and put an artificial nipple in her baby's mouth from moment one! I was recalling a friend whose daughter had some kind of infection when she was born, and the recollection of my friend feeding her a little bottle of formula while she was hooked up to tubes etc. At the time I was clueless, but in retrospect, WTH? In the next breath, though, I acknowledged that she probably was not given great info AND her DF had walked out on her 3 weeks prior, so she was in a tough place at the time.
    Anyway, keep on being an advocate! That's great! BF should be the norm and should be promoted as such on all levels. But just remember that you do not know everything that affects a mother's decision to bf or ff.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I agree with Mollyb. I think it's something like 2% of women who will be physically unable to breastfeed, but then there will be some others who really need medication that is genuinely incompatible with breastfeeding, plus a few other rare problems.
    So yes, the majority of women should be able to breastfeed, but a huge range of factors prevent that from happening - social factors, bad advice and poor support, all kinds of stuff.
    Over the years that I've been interested in breastfeeding (my eldest "baby" is nearly 10 yrs old now!) I have moderated my views. I used to think that it was just a matter of being determined enough, but as I've learned more I've come to believe that it's a lot more complex than that and we're often not in a position to fully understand an individual mother's situation.
    The world needs passionate breastfeeding advocates, on a local, national and international level. There are all kinds of ways to help, and different people will be effective in different ways. But I do think it's worth remembering that lots of things happen to mothers that they are not always in full control of and that the full story is not always obvious.