Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vasospasm or thrush?

Default Vasospasm or thrush?

I really need some input. I've had pain in my right breast for seriously one entire month now and just can NOT figure out what is going on....I can make arguments for either scenerio....I've talked to two LC's.
    DD is 6 weeks old, left breast is problem free, no pain in right after pumping...

Thrush?: DD clicks, shooting pain in right side but not consistent, felt better after some Lotrimin, no visible signs in DD's mouth.

Vasospasm?: White nipple after un-latching, shooting pain in right side, forceful let-down and possible clamping down to decrease flow.

Should I treat for a yeast infection to rule it out? Are there any other tell-tale signs of knowing if it is thrush or vasospams??? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Vasospasm or thrush?

This same exact thing is happening to me. I am actually being treated for thrush right now and have seen no improvements with the pain. I have been wondering if thrush was even the problem or if it could be something more. I am now wondering if I am having vasospasms. If so how do you treat them?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...blanching.html

Because women may describe shooting, burning breast/nipple pain, this can be mistakenly diagnosed as thrush.
    When blanching is due to baby's compression of the nipple, the nipple is white and often misformed (flattened, creased, pointed, etc.) immediately upon coming out of baby's mouth. There may be a white stripe across the nipple directly after nursing. Pain may not start until a few seconds to a few minutes after nursing, as the circulation returns to the nipple. If you are experiencing pain with the blanching, then finding and remedying the underlying cause will also eliminate the blanching.
    Vasospasm can be a secondary response to pain or nipple trauma (damaged nipples or thrush). In this case, the nipple(s) turns white shortly after nursing (rather than coming out of baby's mouth white and misformed). Mom might notice a white circle on the face of the nipple a few seconds to a few minutes after breastfeeding. Cold often triggers the vasospasm and/or makes it worse. Unlike blanching due to compression, latch and positioning may be fine if the source of any nipple damage has already been fixed. Healing the nipple trauma or other source of pain should eliminate the vasospasms, although they may persist for a short time after the nipple has healed (previously damaged tissue can remain sensitive for a time).
    Is your nipple white immediately when coming out of baby's mouth? Or does it turn white shortly after nursing?

My gut feeling is it is compression blanching due to poor latch. And poor latch possibly due to fast let-down.

I just wanted to point out this from the quotes.

1. Blanching/vasospasms are misdiagnosed as thrush.

2. Thrush can cause vasospasms.