Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lumps in breast after weaning

Default Lumps in breast after weaning

My daughter was nursing twice a day. About one week ago she gave up the night nursing and a couple days later the morning nursing. Now I have developed lumps in one of my breast. I am not sure if this is just leftover milk that will go away if I leave it alone or if it is a plugged duct? I would appreciate any input about this.

Default Re: Lumps in breast after weaning

We stopped nursing about 5 days ago and I have them, too. I heard that it takes up to 45 days past the last feeding to completely stop lactating and reabsorb your milk, so I assume (as long as it is not painful or tender) that that's what it is. If your breasts are uncomfortable from fullness - but not painful or tender, you can hand express only as much milk as is needed for comfort, any more than that could stimulate more production. If they are painful or tender, I would suspect clogged ducts, and I'm not sure what do do with those after weaning, except picking breastfeeding back up and massaging during nursing until they pass, then try weaning again more slowly. HTH!

Thanks for the info. They aren't painful and the lumps are slowly going away now so I think it is what you said about how it just takes time to reabsorb.
    Thank again.

If they don't go away I suggest you talk to your dr about it. The production of estrogen can increase the chances of tumor growth. Some women miss the diagnosis during pregnancy when levels of estrogen are very high. After delivery levels of prolactin and estrogen are much lower.
    I'm not trying to scare you, I'm sure everything is fine, but its good information to share with everyone on this board. Breast cancer effects many families in the usa.

I agree with Carpentergirl. If they don't go away you should definitely talk to your doctor, but that would come after seeing if they're clogs IMO since you just stopped breastfeeding. Even if you don't suspect tumors it's always a good idea to see a health professional when unsure! Glad to hear you're feeling better