Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cereal in a jar or dry mixed with ebm???

Default Cereal in a jar or dry mixed with ebm???

One more question:

Due to my lack of extra bm, it is really hard to get enough extra to mix with dry rice cereal, which LO loves. What are everyone's thoughts on just using the premixed cereal that comes ready to eat?

(I know it shouldn't be his main nourishment, and it's not going to be, but he likes it and I would like for him to have it occasionally.)

Thanks again!

Default Re: Cereal in a jar or dry mixed with ebm???

you can mix tap water with it
    or juice....

Yep I do water and my LO loves it. I may try juice in a few months.

Actually juice that is fortified with vit C can be a good idea since it will help the absorption of iron in the cereal as well.

PP stole the words out of my "fingers"

I use the cereal in the jars - easier to take to daycare and I was starting to need all EBM for bottles (long story, but all of my freezer stash - too much to count - had to be dumped b/c it was bad). Anyway, I stick to organic and give a variety, but my lo never liked the rice cereal, so we stick to oatmeal. However, she does like the cereal with fruit in jars - just never liked the rice cereal from the box (dd#1 was the same).

Is the jar stuff bad? The list of ingredients looks good to me - even has vitamin C.

Amy

Good! I guess I will just use water if I need too. I have heard so much about juice being bad because of all the sugar. Is there a difference between the Gerber juice and regular juice that I drink?

Quote Originally Posted by alston's mama View Post
    Good! I guess I will just use water if I need too. I have heard so much about juice being bad because of all the sugar. Is there a difference between the Gerber juice and regular juice that I drink?
    Check the labels of the juices. If I remember (been 2yr since I bought Gerber) the difference is 100% juice and nothing added. I use to buy Gerber juices alot for my older two kids. Juicy Juice is 100% juice (if your stores carry it) and most of your apple and white grape juice is 100%. For apple juice I buy the pure apple not concentrated more natural and lots more fiber. White grape is great to help with bowel issues (so is apple) and tummy troubles.

When mixing with dry cereal you are using so little and adding a lot of taste. If you are going to mix the cereal with fruit then I would water (bottled IMO is safer). The sugar in 100% juices as in no added sugar is not bad for kids you just need to limit them. My kids have juice and they are not fat or hyper or stuff. Also if you give your LO juice to drink then just water it down. I still but if ds has bowel issues so he gets one cup of 100% juice not watered down makes a big difference.

I just know both my kids loved cereal from a box mixed with juice, water and fruit, just water, formula and they hated the jared food and so did I.

HTH and GL
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.