Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bleeding When Pumping!!!

Unhappy Bleeding When Pumping!!!

WHEN I PUMPED THIS MORNING I HAD BLOOD COMING OUT! IT RUINED THE MILK ALREADY PUMPED FROM THE OTHER BREAST. I HAVE NEVER HAD THAT HAPPEN BEFORE. I HAVE BEEN VERY SORE SINCE. I HAVE BEEN PUMPING SINCE I WENT BACK TO WORK IN OCTOBER. MY SON IS 9 MONTHS OLD.

DID NOT NOTICE ANY OPEN SORES OR CRACKS ON MY NIPPLES. I AM AFRAID TO PUMP AGAIN, I SHOULD THIS AFTERNOON. I AM AFRAID TO LET MY SON NURSE ON THAT BREAST. IS THIS NORMAL? DOES THIS HAPPEN WITH PUMPING? DO I NEED TO CALL THE DOCTOR? ANY ADVICE?

Default Re: Bleeding When Pumping!!!

I had the same thing happen to me and it was not obvious where I was bleeding from. I was totally freaked out that there was strawberry milk coming from my boobs. I called and talked with a local LLL leader and was told that it was safe for ds to nurse even though I had been bleeding and it was important to continue nursing and pumping normally to reduce the risk of plugged ducts. Another thing she said to keep in mind is that since I had been bleeding, there is some sort of open wound, so to speak, somewhere, so I should be cognizant of the symptoms of mastitis. I ended up with mastitis after my bleeding episode, but was able to knock it out pretty quickly since I was was conscious of the fact that it might happen.

Red face Re: Bleeding When Pumping!!!

Update

Thanks For Your Response. I Did Find The Cause. My Little Max Had Broken The Skin When He Had Bitten Me. He Has Been A Little Biter Lately. I Did Not Realize He Had Broken The Skin. I Was Really Worried. Now All I Have To Worry About Is My Sore Nipples! Ouch...

Thanks
    Maxsmom