Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help! I'm in pain

Unhappy help! I'm in pain

Hi,

I am a new mom with a 3 month old baby boy. We've been struggling with breastfeeding issues since birth (cracked, bleeding nipple; latch, position issues; thrush; plugged ducts; poor suction, etc). Things have gotten a LOT better as my DS is getting better with his sucking technique. However, recently, my left nipple has begun to hurt quite a bit during and after feedings. The nipple is pink after my DS comes off of the latch. I believe I may have a milk blister that is contributing to the pain as there is a little white spot on the head of the nipple, but it doesn't bulge after feeding so i'm not sure if it is a blister or not.

Questions: 1)How do I know if it is a blister for sure if the spot doesn't bulge out after pumping or feeding? I have checked kellymom.com and my white spot doesn't look like the photo on the site.

2) Will the nipple hurt after feedings as well if the cause is a blister?

3) Why is the nipple pink after feeding? (I believe I've cleared my system of thrush, so i don't think it's yeast)

i know breastfeeding is the best thing for my DS, but all these issues i've been experiencing is getting frustrating...

TIA,

cindy

Default Re: help! I'm in pain

yeast can be realy hard to kick... is the pain burning?
    Cracks can be realy hard to heal too..
    hard to know with out seeing... and hard to know even if you can see nipple.
    blisters hurt like the dickens all the time.

heres a good link from kelly moms about things to try for healing nipples
    Hope you are fealing beter soon.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html

the pain i experience isn't a burning sensation. it's hard to describe, unlike the pains i experienced with the other issues, it's more like an acute pain right on the nipple head.

i tried to treat the milk blisters and now i have what looks like dried blood scabs. my nipple didn't bleed when i picked the blister so i don't know why there are scabs?

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I've struggled with a couple of blisters and clogged ducts, so I can share with you my experience after 8 months of breastfeeding.

Quote Originally Posted by CindySTL View Post
    1)How do I know if it is a blister for sure if the spot doesn't bulge out after pumping or feeding? I have checked kellymom.com and my white spot doesn't look like the photo on the site.
    My "white spot" doesn't always look like the photo either. Sometimes it's a thick, yellowish blister like spot and sometimes it's a "spongy" white spot. Sometimes, it took 2 or more feedings for the clogged spot and blister on the nipple to clear (and when it clears, it feels good!). You have to first clear the bleb/blister on the nipple first before the clogged tender spot on teh breast clears.

2) Will the nipple hurt after feedings as well if the cause is a blister?
    I notice my nipples
    Actually, when my nipples hurt after feedings, I notice it's b/c my LO didn't have a proper latch, so my nipple was slanted, which I think caused the blister/bleb. If a blister/bleb developed, my nipples hurt before and after feedings until it clears.

3) Why is the nipple pink after feeding? (I believe I've cleared my system of thrush, so i don't think it's yeast)
    Perhaps your LO didn't have a proper latch, and created an assymetrical slanted latch causing it to be pink.

i know breastfeeding is the best thing for my DS, but all these issues i've been experiencing is getting frustrating...
    I hear you, but it does get better! What I do to help clear my blisters/blebs are:
    1) epsom salt soaks
    2) heat before feedings
    3) messaging on any clogs that have developed as a result of the blister
    4) "peeling" open the blister with my fingertips
    5) dangle feed (hover my boob over LO so that she can have a stronger suck and really get the clog and blister cleared).

Hope that helps!