Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: trying to make a decision and have ?s

Default trying to make a decision and have ?s

I'm trying to decide about going back to work in September. I could really use some input about scheduling baby's feedings, though. DS will be 7mo and the scheudle I'm supposed to work will take me away from him two afternoons a week for about 4 -4.5 hours. Unless I stand in front of my class of college freshman attached to the pump, there is no possibility to pump while I'm working.

Does it sound reasonable to a 7month old's nursing schedule? Does it sound like something I'd want to do? I know that it could be done if need be, but I want to know it it will be uncomfortable or lots of trouble.

TIA for your help.

Default Re: trying to make a decision and have ?s

My daughter is 8 mos. old and I am occaisionaly away from her for 4-5 hours. I generally pump ahead of time so there is milk to leave, sometimes she uses a lot and sometimes she doesn't use any at all. Then, I generally pump right when I get done with whatever I'm doing. I generally don't get as much out then as she drinks while I'm gone, so pumping during the rest of the week helps me fill the gaps, and since I don't leave her more than 2x a week, that 4-5 hour stretch hasn't made a change in my milk supply. Every woman is different, but I think you'll be able to find a way to make it work!

Pipsmom,

Your work schedule sounds great for combining BFing and working. I go 4-5 hours between pumping or nursing sometimes without thinking. It was uncomfortable when I went went to the opera when DS was 6 weeks old, but now that he is 8 months old it isn't painful. I definitely notice that I haven't nursed him or pumped in a while but can function just fine.

Like Lexi'smom said, you'll want to pump sometime before your first class so that you can leave some milk for your DS. If you are doing any solids then you could leave them then also.

The week before your class starts you might want to do a practice run (maybe we should call it a dry run!) for your class. I mean, get all your stuff ready, go to campus, and don't nurse or pump for the time when you would be teaching. Then you'll know how your breasts will feel during the time you'll be teaching. I find the first class to be stressful enough without worrying about if I am suddenly going to feel uncomfortable. You could pump at the end to get some milk ready for the real thing.

I hope this helps!

I don't see why you couldn't go 4-5 hours at a time, if it's only a couple of days a week. Plan to feed or pump just before and right after class. Your baby may or may not take expressed milk while you're apart; if she doesn't, expect her to nurse more when you're together to make up for it.

I'm not sure your students would learn much about the subject they're there for if you're hooked up to a pump for part of it! ;-)
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I agree, it's probably totally manageable.

I started teaching again when my daughter was 4 months old, and it was kind of hard at first, for both of us. Just on the practicalities -- I'd nurse, say goodbye, make the trip to campus, pump, give my class, run back to the office to pump, then give my next class. I was late for class sometimes because of the pumping, and I think the students thought I was weird or unnapproachable for running off so quick after a discussion; but it was the only way I could get through without feeling uncomfortable, and have enough milk for the babysitter to give her. Plus there were those awkward times when students would knock on my door while I was pumping! It's the kind of thing you can't really explain to a class of 18 year olds. But by the end of the semester, when she was 8 months old, it was all totally fine. I'd nurse her before leaving the house, and then only pump about 4-5 hours later, once my first class was over, then just nurse once I got home. So it's true that everybody is different, but I'd guess you have nothing to worry about. If you only have to be away 4-5 hours, you probably don't need to pump while you're out, tho' you might want to get a little stored up in case your child wants it.

Thanks for the help, everyone! You make it sound so easy. Campus is only a 15min drive, so my 4.5 hours includes the round trip. Great schedule for a mom, for sure. Unfortunately, DH and I have been doing the numbers and after childcare, there would be so little money left that it's really just not worth it. I like the job, sure, and it's great to have found a place where I CAN have a job without a PhD, but I don't like enough to do it for free! It will be a better job when Pip is in school.

I'm glad you've worked out the practicalities of this. It does sound like a pretty good setup. I'm hoping it will still be available for you, or something similar, when you and your family are ready for it.

Best of luck!
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!