Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Still choking!

Default Still choking!

My lil' girl still chokes on my milk. She does have reflux so I don't know if that has anything to do with it but she's gonna be 3months old next week so she should be able to keep up with my supply by now I would think. It's always like it goes "down the wrong pipe." But you hear it go down hard and then she starts coughing and turns red and doesn't breath for a minute and coughs it out and then screams like it hurt. Which I'm sure it does, you know how that feels when you drink something and it goes down wrong. I feel so bad, it makes me wanna cry when she does it but I don't know what to do. My lactation consultant said to try a different position but I'm not comfortable in any other position so it would suck to have to nurse like that and I just don't understand why she wouldn't be able to keep up with it by 3months of age. I never had this problem nursing my son. The only thing I can think of is that the reflux issue has something to do with it. Her dr. is very lax about it, like "oh it just goes down the wrong pipe" like oh well. But, it's not oh well when it happens so often and it hurts her!!!

Default Re: Still choking!

If you have a sling, maybe try nursing your baby in that? That way you can tilt the little one upward while feeding and still be comfortable yourself. I think the more horizontal she is while feeding, the worse her reflux will be. you can easily adjust the sling to different positions.

Do you know if you have overactive letdown? I was "drowing" my LO for the first 2 months because my letdown was too forceful.

Does she choke at the beginning of a feeding? I could always feel my letdowns, and would unlatch baby for a minute or so and would let the milk spray out into a towel. Most of the choking problems subsided once my supply settled down but it took several weeks of feeding one side at a time for my supply to even out and for the choking to subside.

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I agree with what PP said. Perhaps you have an OALD and an oversupply? It may help to let the initial letdown milk spray onto a burp cloth and then relatch. Or, you can feed twice on one side before the other (block feed).

My OALD/oversupply didn't really settle down until 4 months, and LO didn't learn to handle the milk until shortly afterwards, so hang in there!

yes, my LO didn't catch up to my OALD and over supply until about 4 mo old either. Taking her off and letting the milk drip/ spray into a cloth for about 30 sec. should help. Take her off right when you notice the milk is coming down. It should help quite a bit. In time it will get better as she grows and can handle the flow that quickly. Or your body may settle down a bit, though mine never did.

With all of the lo I have nursed, it sounds like to me you just need to help her when the milk is letting down. Sometimes the milk comes so fast that they truely can't keep up. When this has happened to mine I kept a burp cloth handy and when the milk let down I let the baby pull away for a minute or two while the milk was absorbed in the cloth. Then let the baby latch back on and she will be fine. It has nothing to do with reflux. The word reflux is used much to much and no one knows what it means any more. Congratulations on your lo.