Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding Questions???????

Question Breastfeeding Questions???????

How often do your 7 month old babies BF?
    How long do they nurse for?
    Once they turn 7 months do they drink quicker?
    I am really confused because LO tends to drink for 5 mins and be finished. I try to burp then put her back but she twists and wriggle saway and then cries if I try to force her...which I don't do anymore. I figure when she's hungry she'll eat but the solids thing... i hate to feed her lunch etc if she hasn't had a good feeding..but i don't know if it's a good one or not.

Do you lo's usually drain whole breast in one feeding? mine never does and only does one side. at night she drinks a lot right before bed and during the night ( 6pm , then wakes for a 10 pm & 2 am maybe 4 or 6am...lastnight anyway) then when i try to feed her that morning she won't eat. So today just ate at 11 an dth elast time I fed her was 530 6 ish so maybe she's just going longer in between now...hard to figure out!!!

I just LOVE BF her and I guess I am afraid it will end early!!

Default Re: Breastfeeding Questions???????

At that age they do tend to become more efficient at the breast. My LO is 11 months and gets full feedings (from one side, he has always been a one side nurser) in about 5 minutes.
    At that age, my lo was so active during the day (just started crawling around 6 months) that he focused all his energy and time on exploring, and tended to reverse cycle (drink most of his milk at night). I just continued to offer the breast as often as possible during the day. Sometimes he would take it, sometimes not. Eventually he got back on track (although he now nurses frequently day and night ). HTH!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

When my others were 7 mo. on average they nursed when waking, before lunch, at naptime, then at dinner and bedtime. Usually then 1-2 times at night. Mine were quick to nurse (I have OALD) by then and done in 3-5 minutes on one side per feeding. Once we started solids, the only liquid baby got was breastmilk still, and we never fed solids before breatfeeding first.
    If you're concerned about intake do a diaper count, assuming your LO is only getting breastmilk.
    The reverse cycle feeding was always heightened when mine went through a new developmental phase. They were just so busy in the day, not wanting to stop and nurse, that they fed more at night.
    Hope that helps! It all sounds very normal though.

ericsmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I was very nervous bfing was going to end when my lo was 7 months too. I think they just go through phases of being fussy at the breast- whether they are sick, distracted, or just not hungry. I try nursing when my baby is tired- in a dark quiet room and that seems to help.

Thanks sooo much for your help!!! Today was a nightmare with the BF. We went out for a bit and she would not BF anywhere!!! She was really cute though. She kept squealing at other babies wherever we went. Once we got home htough I went upstairs in the dark bedroom and nursed her for 30 mins around 5 . Then at 6 she ate dinner and was fussing for bed by 630 and then she drank for 35 minutes. I am sooo happy!!!! I know it was also because I didn't force it. She rolled off the Boppy pillow 3 times while BF onto my bed and I just calmy scooted her back to th epillow an dthe she Bf again. It was quit efunny. I have a crazy little monkey on my hands!!!! Thanks again!

good to hear your night went better- hang in there! you're doing a good job! Just try to go with the flow and offer frequently when the time seems right. Trust your instincts.