Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nipple pain and thrush

Default nipple pain and thrush

I have been experiencing some severe shooting pains in my right nipple since Saturday. When I called the LC on Monday and told her what I was feeling she said that it sounded like thrush and that I needed to call my OB. So I did and made an appointment to see her on Tuesday. My OB looked at my nipple and took a sample of my milk to be tested. She also prescribed me some anitfungal cream and a pill to take. By the way, my baby has no symptoms of thrush. Anyway, I took the pill and have been putting the cream on 2 to 3 times a day and I am still not getting much relief.

If it is thrush how long should it take for me to feel some relief? If it is not thrush then what could it be? HELP!!!

Default Re: nipple pain and thrush

I believe that if you have thrush and baby doesn't show signs, you still treat both of you.

When are the pains happening? While nursing? After nursing? Initial latch? All the time?

So far we haven't had thrush so I'm not sure what to tell you on that.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

It hurts when it is touched but not to much during nursing.

If you do have thrush and you don't treat your baby as well, then you are probably just reinfecting yourself. Although if there is some sort of cream on your nipple when your baby nurses you might be treating him/her indirectly anyway, I don't know, I never used any cream.

My nipples were irritated and had an itchy/burning sensation when they got wet or when I had let downs. I also had pains deep in my breast tissue. It sounds different, but I think many women experience thrush differently.

At any rate, try to go topless as much as you can or at least skip bras when possible. Don't use breastpads, wash your bra's and shirts in hot water (add a cup of vinegar to your wash. Try rinsing your nipples after nursing in half vinegar half water. All these things should help you beat it if thrush is your problem. It took me almost a week to feel better, but I was putting my baby's thrush meds on my nipples. When I had a second bout of it, I used gentian violet and it was almost immediate relief. I don't think you should use this remedy at teh same time as the ones your doc gave you, though.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous