Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: feeding from one breast

Default feeding from one breast

I'm new to BF'ing, but I was told that to help reduce gas/colic I should feed from one breast to get more of the hindmilk, so that's what I started doing a few weeks ago. Now I'm concerned about my supply, what happens to the milk in the meantime? Isn't production going to diminish?I noticed that I pump about 3 oz per breast (I'm building my storage from when I go back to work), is this enough?

Default Re: feeding from one breast

The amount you pump is plenty- actually very good!
    It's fine to feed one side at a time- mine have all done that until they were about 6-8 mo. old. As for supply, how old is your baby? The first 6-8 weeks is when your supply gets well established, so if you're beyond that and not having trouble you should be fine.
    BTW, you can feed from both sides per feeding- some moms have to do this if their baby isn't handling both sides very well. It is a good solution for those with an oversupply though. You can try it and see how it goes, but if baby is happy with one side and your supply is good then I'd leave it alone.
    Hope that helps- sounds like you're doing great!

thanks. Olivia is 6 wks old. You mean I should try both sides each time, would it it better? WOW...7 children, all breastfed! How wonderful!

One side is just fine. Or you can let baby completely finish on the first side and then offer the second breast. Then on your next feeding offer the last one first. Limiting each feeding to one breast may help with gassiness and if you feel like your supply is fine, try it for a few days. Should not be a problem.

Also, the amount you are pumping is a lot. Which is fine to do but it may be causing over supply. So in your case I think feeding on one breast may be a good idea.

Hope that helps!
    To free us from the expectations of others, to give us back to ourselves - there lies the great, singular power of self-respect. ~Joan Didion